Dematting Rakes?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dematting Rakes?

Post by Laura »

Well it has happened...the dreaded mats...behind the ears. Chloe has one behind each ear and Shug has one behind the ear that was medicated. I have tried to get them out but they are so close to the skin and of course they won't sit still for hours so I am looking at other options. I could cut them out which is what I used to do with Kody's but was wondering if anyone uses dematting rakes? What are the pros and cons of those? The mats are still small at this point and I am working on them each day so they don't get out of control but before I buy one of these rakes I wanted your opinions.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dematting Rakes?

Post by WildThings »

We got one for Tess a few years ago because she would get mats behind her ears in no time. It was one of the ones with the five or six sickle shaped blades. It seemed like the only thing it did was pull her fur. I have used it on my long haired cat when she is shedding and the loose fur mats, but those are always very small mats. My family has always had better luck using a pair of scissors, cutting into the mat, not cutting it out, but making cuts into it so break it up some, then using a grooming rake to pick through it.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Thanks Amanda for replying. I didn't buy one yet just been trying to work on them. We gave Shug a bath Sunday so while he was wet I cut the one behind his ear. Chloe is more patient then he is, so going to keep at it with hers since they are so small. Those things look a bit dangerous anyway.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I've never used on Laura, but they sure look scary!
Thank you Elodie!