Any shampoo to use to loosen undercoat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Any shampoo to use to loosen undercoat

Post by mrstu »

Hi, little sophia is not a fan of getting brushed and needs a bath -- we have not bathed her yet, she had a bath just before we got her but she really needs some grooming now. She will sit for a little brushing but needs a good grooming and I wondered is there was a shampoo that would loosen that undercoat so that after the bath, we could successfully brush her. Any thoughts would be appreciated. She would not do good at a groomer, does not like the vet so I would imagine not the groomer either and would need to be muzzled. I want to do it myself. Help!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any shampoo to use to loosen undercoat

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The last groomer I had and probably the best groomer I ever had sprayed Pekoe with "No tangles" then used a blower, the under coat just came off by the hand fulls with out any pulling she barley used a brush at all until the end just to comb her. She started from the front then worked her way back, I couldn't believe how easley it all came off.. Pekoe rarely gets groomed so there was alot of hair coming off her, when it was over Pekoe looked like she had lost 50 lbs. The trouble is the groomer won't come back she is scared of Pekoe.

I don't know if this is the same stuffbut it sounds like it.

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/pe ... 804C0.aspx
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I believe any conditioning shampoo will do the trick. I've tried a few different ones & Alf continually blocks the plug hole with his undercoat :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I have heard the blowers are great for getting the undercoat out. I know of two places around Columbus that have self-service dog grooming stations (dog wash tubs, blowers, grooming table, etc.) You could maybe try the blowers...see if that gets enough of the undercoat out that she wouldn't need much brushing. A good conditioner also helps. I know the company that makes the Furminator brushes has a shampoo that is supposed to help also, but I'm skeptical of shampoos that promise "magic hair removal" powers.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

The blowers at the self service bathing facilities are wonderful. I always did that when Kody was in high shed time. I would bathe him and then blow forever and hair literally fills the room! What doesn't blow out before you both wear out :D is also easier to brush out later because it's loose.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe's designer Groomer called today Pekoe gets groomed next Friday. What I like about her is most groomers want to shave, its alot easier just to shave it off, this groomer doesn't use a shaver, blows it all out then a little cutting and combing, 2 hrs later pekoe looks good while we put on the band aids and mop up the blood. I'm going to have her look at Onyx while she is her but Pekoe is so expensive i can't afford her on both Chows.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I have a Master Blaster. If I turn on both motors I think it would take the paint off the walls!! It's great for blowing out all the water and excess fur. I used one of those self-service dog washes with Samantha (I didn't want to leave her at a groomer)...that's where I first used a doggie vacuum. I figured it would be easier to do it myself than drive across town. I usually only do one or two each time I decide to groom...it's hard work and I end up with more fur on me than on the Chows. :shock: