Fur coat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fur coat

Post by Coco Chow »

Coco's coat these days is looking better than never, lots of fur, shiny, long hair, etc (you can see the big fur by looking at our new avatar or the picture below)...
I've been giving her salmon oil everyday for a month now and I was wondering if that could be the reason?
She had omega 3 pills before, but the pure salmon oil is something new.
I also give her more fish than before, maybe 4 times a week.

I was also wondering if it could be because she just had her 1st heat, which stopped a few days ago.
Is the fur looking better after a chow has been on heat?

(I'd like to know what made her fur look good because I'd like it to stay that way.)

Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fur coat

Post by Layla »

When Kiwani told me about sardines & salmon oil Millie's coat improved dramatically. Alf was an itchy boy when he came home & got a lot better with salmon oil. His adult coat is coming through very dark & shiny now as well \:D/

No idea about heat though :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I thought maybe something hormonal happened after the heat, something that had an effect on the coat... but maybe not!

Did you stop giving Millie omega 3 pills when you started to give salmon oil?
My vet told me giving both might be too much.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Coco Chow wrote:I thought maybe something hormonal happened after the heat, something that had an effect on the coat... but maybe not!
Hormones have an effect on the hair follicles and the growing/resting/shedding phases. When the breeding hormones surge, much of the fur is kept in the growing phase, and there are changes in the skin as well which support the healthy condition of the fur. When the breeding hormones recede, more of the fur then shifts into a shedding phase and the skin changes as well.

The supplemental fish and the fish oils help support healthy skin and coat, and the estrus cycle also plays a role in the total positive effect you're seeing.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Coco Chow wrote:Did you stop giving Millie omega 3 pills when you started to give salmon oil?
My vet told me giving both might be too much.
Yes, I take the omega 3's now :D
Thank you Elodie!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Every winter I take a spoonful of cod oil. I also eat lots of pacific salmon. My doctor told me to be careful and take it easy on fish oil It may thin the blood. Not sure if the same can happen to dogs?
My chow's coat has improved tremendously since she was spayed one year ago. I changed the dog food to Orijen. I also add fish oil to her diet, fresh salmon, fresh herring and sardines in a tin. I don't know what caused the improvement in the coat. I am sure the spaying helped. I felt so much better myself after I had a hysterectomy. :D
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I think fish oil have an effect on the blood because it's written on the pills I give Coco as well.
I tried Orijen with Coco but she will not eat them! :roll: We are back to Platinum dry food, which she likes very much. I'm going to have to find a shelter to give them the open bag of Orijen, and that 5kg bag of another brand Coco won at the Nationals.

About the salmon oil, I wonder if it's as good as the omega 3 pills because I've been giving that oil to Coco for 1.5 month, and now she starts to be all scratchy again. :?:
Elodie
shannlee379
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shannlee379 »

Is there a certain age at which you can start to give them fish oil? Shelby's coat hasn't been the same since her unfortunate puppy-cut.
Shannon & Shelby...
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Coco Chow wrote:About the salmon oil, I wonder if it's as good as the omega 3 pills because I've been giving that oil to Coco for 1.5 month, and now she starts to be all scratchy again. :?:
All depends on the brand & amount of omega3 in the product. Also, is there any added ingredients in the Salmon oil?????

Shannlee379 - you can give at any age, just start with small amounts & increase slowly :D
Thank you Elodie!