Link: Hair Length and Temperature Tolerance

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Link: Hair Length and Temperature Tolerance

Post by kiwani »

Hair Length and Temperature Tolerance
(coat color, hair length, and cooling)

Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D.
Copyright; all rights reserved

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/libr ... length.htm
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Link: Hair Length and Temperature Tolerance

Post by Layla »

Very interesting link Kiwani. I worry about Alf, it's going to be a long summer for my little guy.
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Great link thanks for the info.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i am confuse . clip or not to clip that is the question .. wheather it is nobler to leave a magnicent coat in place and suffer the grooming trials of a chow keeper in summer or trim it back for the fleeting illusion of coolnes and ease of brushing ..

my experience with a Red Chow with Big Coat ..

it is very important to groom as much as is possible of the under coat out leaving the longer guard hairs intact ,
it is important to bath regular in order to keep the old on the hair to minimum and any dirt out,, this keeps the outer coat " lighter" in weight..

when the heat and humidityu is UP . i brush the chow with an electrostatic [ionizer] brush.. his hair all stands straight up each hair electrically carged and repelling the next, he stays in the AC house in front of his Fan, then from time to time Out he goes in to the heat,,prefers the shade, and his big coat standing out traps all that cool dry air from the house.. after a while the moisture and heat penetrates down , then he kicks on the door until i let him in where he lays in front of the fan to start the cycle again , i think the current over night record is in and out the door 17 times...
heh..
notice in the attached picture , even though this is a fall shot with air temps in the 60's due to a run in the woods ON TRACK.. chow has configured himself in cooling mode,, tounge broad wide and curled up , when we are so ill advised in summer to hit the trak and run when he returns to house and cool it is a very long time before he is cooled down...

how can i tell when he is too hot ?
how can i cool him down ?
in the field i think a mister would help mist the outer coat and brush it out , keep it loose , that is what my mentor was doing to the # 2 chow in that year , some years ago , when last i saw a master chow keeper

what is the proper path ?
Attachments
HOT CHOW IN the WOODS
HOT CHOW IN the WOODS
birthdayboy.jpg (190.99 KiB) Viewed 3015 times