Electric clippers

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Electric clippers

Post by chowmom »

What clippers are best for grooming chows? I have three chows and cannot keep up with the knots even though I try. My three play all the time and grab at each other and play rather rough and in doing so cause some awful knots in fur. The fur leggins (I call them fur pants) are awful and they HATE having those brushed out. On one of my chows, he has huge knots behind the ears and head where the others grab and wrestle with him. He will allow me to try to brush the knots out just so long and then he wants to get away. I am thinking that if I can clip his fur rather close but not shaved , then maybe I can keep on top of these problems in the future. The other two are not nearly as knotted up as he is. He is white and I don't want him shaved; with summer coming up I am afraid it would be too risky for him. I don't want to do the massive trim just yet because I don't want him to get cold outside (and we are still having some cool days). All of my dogs come inside any time they want and they always sleep inside. They do prefer outside during the day and nice weather. Back to my question, though,
I need some really good electric shears that will stand up to all of that hair. Do any of you have any ideas? Most shears I have seen just aren't that great. I don't mind paying a little more for a good pair of shears.
I do take my Chow I am refering to (Klondike) to the groomers but sometimes I have been so disgusted with the outcome. If she can't get an area clean or brushed she just shaves it and that looks terrible. Needless to say, I did not return to her again. I have taken him into the shower and washed him until he is clean (especially the area that gets icky with poop) and he just doesn't mind that at all. The warm water must feel wonderful to him. I can get him nice and clean but I just can't seem to get these knots out. Any ideas??
ChowMom

Mom of: Klondike and Smokey
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Electric clippers

Post by Red Dragon »

I use Andis Ultra Edge clippers, they are really good quality. You need a #10 or a #7 blade to cut the knots out with. http://www.petedge.com usually has the best prices and they may even have some type of special on them.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Electric clippers

Post by fillyok »

I also have Andis (not sure what style) clippers. I think I paid about $170 for them at Petsmart. They work great, especially on the bloomer area.