Does my chow have a cold?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does my chow have a cold?

Post by ChowFUN »

Hi all,

Yesterday I was watching Mochi and it looked like he was either trying to hack something up, gag, or throw up. However, nothing came out. He proceeded to smack his lips and lick the inside of his mouth, so I thought whatever he may have tried to throw up, he just ate right back? There was nothing that physically came out that I saw. I saw him do this a few times during the day, each time, the same result, with nothing on the floor. Also, he sneezed this morning, and there was gooey snot, much as if a human had a cold and blew their nose. And on the side of his nose, there is a trace of this snot. (as if he had a light runny nose?)

I gave him some panacur yesterday for deworming, but he has had this before, and no issues. Otherwise, he is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing regularly. He is 5 months, about 30 pounds, and eats only solid gold and his treats.

Should I be concerned? Does anyone know what might be wrong with Mochi?
Auddymay

Re: Does my chow have a cold?

Post by Auddymay »

Call your vet and ask if this could be from worming him. I always err on the side of caution, but since you wormed him, it might be a side effct.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

It could be allergies too...I noticed Buddha's starting doing that again now that it's getting warmer.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

my 2 are hacking and sneezing like crazy... Haley has been shedding like a manic for 2 weeks and all 4 of us, humans included, are hacking and sneezing.
ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowFUN »

Is it chow allergies? I talked to a vet and they said it might just be reverse sneezing. If it is allergies, how would I tell? Also, anyways to allieviate the symptoms? I am in california by the way, so the weather has warmed significantly in the past week.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I've been told dogs don't get colds like us humans do. However, they do get allergies. If you are near where I live the weather has been inconsistent - damp weather then hot days, etc. My girl has seasonal allergies and one time her vet gave her some medicine. However, she was scratching alot and that is why he gave her medicine. Although she still has seasonal allergies (sneezes consecutively (sp?), runny nose and her eyes water) no more allergy pills needed. A reverse sneeze sorta sounds like churdling cough - as a fellow rescuer described it to me for a chow mix I was fostering. She had kennel cough instead. Because of the mucus I would still bring Mochi in to see her vet if you have time. Was the thicker mucas (aka snot) discolored?
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

If it's allergies, children's Benadryl will work. When Buddha was about 40 lbs the vet said to give him 4 tablespoons...I'd use a pill though, because it's easier to hide than trying to get your chow to drink it up. Ask your vet though for the amount to give him, because it varies w/ weight.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowFUN »

When there is mucus, it is clear to yellowish. He is still doing the hacking thing - especially when he chomps down a treat fast or is runs/pulling on his leash.
katschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katschow »

For benadryl ....if for an extreme allergy....such as to a vaccine or such....1 mg per pound of dog....if the dog weighs 50 lbs...give him two 25mg pills.....if for sinus problems....1/2 mg per pound of dog....my chow has had sinus problems since birth...she has very small nasal passages. At first she was taking antibiotics and antihistimines from the Vet...it cost a fortune....then another Vet...told me about the Bendryl.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

ChowFUN wrote:When there is mucus, it is clear to yellowish. He is still doing the hacking thing - especially when he chomps down a treat fast or is runs/pulling on his leash.
It may be a sinus infection.
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Tai was having some problems with hacking and allergies, nasal and skin. My vet told me to give him 3 tablespoons of Children's Benedryl twice a day. Do you know what it's like to give a 70lb.+ chow a liquid medicine he doesn't like? We went to the pill for also. The Benedryl did wonders.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?