Question about shots

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mitchan14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question about shots

Post by mitchan14 »

Hi guys! My chow, Clowie, got her annual shots today and I forgot to ask the vet if I can give her a bath. So is it okay to give a chow a bath after shots? If not, how long do I have to wait? thanks for the help
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I can't answer your question. When I have taken my chow to the vet, I let her have a rest, a brief walk, a treat.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

My vet tells me at least a week.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Mine usually get a bath before going to the vet so that everyone can fawn over how beautiful and well taken care of they are :D
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

lol chow chow mama!! We do want them to look nice don't we!
All I know is that my groomers would not give Chloe a puppy 'bath and fluff' for 3 days after her rabies shot in case she was 'sore or not feeling well'. They got a :roll: from me. :D
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

hmmmmmm... On Oct 31st, I took Sid to the Vet so he could spend the night (they have a place called Petite Suites). I had a wedding to plan and attend and I didn't want Sid to be home alone for that long. Well, when Sid and I arrived they said "Cherie, he can't stay because he's overdue for his physical and his shots".. E-FREAKIN-GAD!! OK, so give him the exam and ONLY give him the shots he needs and I'll schedule the rest for later. Sid got his Rabies and Bordella(sp?) shot and we left the Lepto shot for a later date. Colleen (Sid's groomer who works at the vets) scheduled to give him a bath on Nov 1st since I would not be picking him up until noon. SO, no waiting.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I've never heard anything about waiting :?
Thank you Elodie!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Buddha was so sore after his shots he'd whine and yelp a little as he walked (scared the heck out of me), so I understand them not wanting to give your chow a bath after shots.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Laura wrote:lol chow chow mama!! We do want them to look nice don't we!
I don't want to take my kids anywhere if they look anything less than a good looking, groomed, Chow Chow.

I don't want people to think 1) I don't take care of my Chows and 2) All Chows look disheveled and dirty

My vet techs always rave about how they wish other Chow owners took as good of care of their Chows as I do. They tell me most of the other Chow owners who come in bring their Chows in all matted :?
ImageImageImage
kaila
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaila »

Cara&Haley wrote:My vet tells me at least a week.
Same thing with my Kaila.
Chow Chow Mama wrote:Mine usually get a bath before going to the vet so that everyone can fawn over how beautiful and well taken care of they are :D
and this too! hehe :D
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

I know exactly what you mean, chowchow mama! I feel the same way and grooming Pudding is always on the to do list if anyone is going to see Pudding!