my older chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Susan's babies

my older chow

Post by Susan's babies »

I've been really concerned lately about my older chow. Roxie is nine years old and really slowing down fast. She has always been a very mellow girl and doesn't get overly excited no matter how hard you try. She has really been sleeping alot more and not playing too much with her buddy Rosie. She isn't overweight and we just got her checked out last weekend for her yearly. Of course, I didn't get any major bloodwork done but now I'm thinking I should make another appointment. My husband told me today that their life expectancy is only about 8-12 years. This can't be true. I was expecting to have my girls alot longer. We've always struggled with Rosie's weight but Roxie has been pretty slim the whole time we've had her. She was three when we got her from a kill shelter. The vet had come to put her down when we got there and I just had to have her. She was all covered in mud and so lost looking. I wasn't going to leave without her. Everyone who sees her wants her. I really hope there is nothing seriously wrong with her. If anybody knows something that might help her get some energy back. I have her on the senior Iams but she hardly eats anything. I bought her some joint support supplements today. She never really lets us know she is in pain. She had an accident last summer that almost completely severed her tail midway down and she just came to sit with me. I just happen to look down and see it when I was petting her. She didn't act any differently and that is why I am stumped about this.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Hi Susan,
My name is Roxana & I have a 12 year old female named Dakota. She is also totally blind, having lost her vision in 1 eye a few years ago & in her remaining eye about 6 months ago.

Dakota also sleeps alot and is very mellow in her old age. Chows aren't the most hyper dogs to begin with and they really slow down in their golden years. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it probably is a good idea to get her bloodwork done. I just got this done on Dakota about 6 months ago & the vet said that if he didnt know her age, he would have thought she's a much younger dog!! Ask to get the "Seniors panel" bloodwork which checks for everything.

Also, another thing I do & I think its very important, is that I make sure Dakota still goes for her walks every single day. Some days I have a hard time waking her from her naps :lol: but we never miss a day. Even if it seems like Roxie does not want to go; take her anyway. Its so important that they get their exercise, some fresh air & and get their joints moving, even if its only for 15-20 minutes a day. I also have Dakota on glucosomine and this seems to help as well.

I hope this helps you & keep in touch and let us know how Roxie is doing.

Roxana & Dakota
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Susans Babies

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Hello Susan, so nice to see you back on the site again, I know how difficult it is when one of your babies gets old, after all Chows are supposed to live forever, but unfortuantely that is not the case is it, I wish your girl well and hope she gets more comfortable, as atime goes on and my thoughts are with you.

By the way what has happened to Cheryl she is not posting anymore on this wonderfull new site and I have sent emails and no reply, can you help
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441