Coco's walks

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Coco's walks

Post by Coco Chow »

We had a female daschund home for 17 years, she grew up with me and
I loved her very much. But that's not the point. The point is that she
would pee only once when we walked her.

I also know male dogs will pee a lot on a walk, but that's a territory
thing I believe. :roll:

My puppy Coco will pee maybe 4 or 5 times everytime I walk her.
My question is: is it normal for a female puppy, or is it too many times
and the sign of a UTI or something like that?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me...

(I must add that Coco has been with us for a week now, and never ever
had an accident inside our home).:D

Thanks!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Coco's walks

Post by JH »

Coco Chow wrote:My puppy Coco will pee maybe 4 or 5 times everytime I walk her. My question is: is it normal for a female puppy, or is it too many times and the sign of a UTI or something like that? Thank you for sharing your experience with me... (I must add that Coco has been with us for a week now, and never ever had an accident inside our home).:D Thanks!

If you don't see any blood in her urine, I wouldn't worry about a UTI. Although that is not the only symptom, it is the most common. She is a baby, so she is just learning to control the bladder. A couple of weeks ago when she was with her mom, she probably let the pee fly in a variety of circumstances, (like when she got excited, afraid, etc.) Now, she is learning to do it when and where you want her to. A good sign is that she hasn't had any accidents. That's really great news, and means that you are paying good attention to her needs and taking her out regularly. Pups drink a lot an pee a lot, so it will likely stabilize a bit as she gets to be a few months older.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know about puppies but its also a territorial thing, there is no blade of grass or bush that is left untouched by Pekoe on her walks. From San Francisco to San Diego to LA there is no landscape with out the scent of Pekoe, Hair also.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel spend a penny several times on their walks so I should not worry about Coco.
If you see any signs of blood, that would indicate a UTI but she sounds ok to me. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Elodie

Puppies drink quite a bit and hence they pee quite a bit!! I wouldn't worry. At least she's not peeing inside :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Puleeezzzzee...

Mia always feels the need to grace all seven corners of the world (or at least the yard, which is her world.)

Someone forgot to tell her there are only four corners.

Lot's of female chows have a bunch of Alpha in them.

Mia is a transvestite.

She is quite male-ish, even at 7 months. She almost still waters everywhere, who knows why. I mean it's not like she hasn't watered the perimeter many times already.

I am sure no unsuspecting dog would want to cross the moat Mia has made around our house.
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

By the way, she is just adorable.

She can come water my lawn anytime!
Mia
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Ginger pees when you tell her to go potty but that's about it. She seldom goes into the grass otherwise to sniff except n our yard. The rest of the dogs pee like it's their last walk and they have to leave everything behind now just in case they never make it back again. I wouldn't be too worried.

Congrats on the potty training. It's lovely that it is going so well.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I've had three female chows and all of them peed many times on each walk. I wouldn't worry about it.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thank you all! :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Puppies have very small, under-developed bladders. Lily would do the same thing. It will change as she gets older. And bigger!