Limping

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Limping

Post by Hugos~ »

Last night While i was playing with Hugo,i noticed he was limping..I'm not sure what injured him,i massaged his hands and felt nothing broken,and he did not scream ,so i guess it didnt hurt him.Should I take him to the vet?
Chow Chow named Hugo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

All the vet will do is squezz his paw and move his leg around looking for a reaction or a yelp. See how he's doing tomorrow if he's still limping he might need X-rays. Check his Paw, some times little pebbles and sticks, Maybe a foxtails (Thorn) get stuck in the pads.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

If you give him a full exam yourself as Jeff suggested, manipulating his legs and joints and don't provoke any pain response, I would chalk it up to growing pains. Often when they go through a growth spurt, their bones and muscles don't develop at exactly the same pace. The bones will grow and the muscles won't have caught up creating pain for them. It normally passes in a day or so. Just be careful not to let him do too much exercise or play too hard.
Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugos~ »

i did fall on his leg once,but it was very slight.We were out running,then he saw a bird,and went in front of my legs.and i tripped,got his legs,he yelped,but i did lessen the fall...with my arms!And for these growth spurts,how long do they last ?
Chow Chow named Hugo!
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Puppies tend to get easily distracted, so it's very easy for them to get tangled up in your legs when you are walking, especially if they are not on a leash. I have to be very careful when I go out in the backyard since our puppy will scramble around between my legs.

As for the growth spurts and the associated limping, it normally stops within a day. Sometimes ours will get up and limp around when he first starts walking, and then it disappears in an hour. The longest amount of time that he ever experienced it was for three days.