Poorly pup - please advise!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poorly pup - please advise!

Post by Sahara91 »

Hi all,

I finally picked up my gorgeous Chow Chow pup today (after looking for one for several months), a 7wk old black girl. She has been with us for around 5hrs, but she has been breathing very quickly, has a small amount of discharge from her eyes, and has a runny nose (clear fluid). She will sleep for around 10mins, then wake up and start snorting, as if to try and clear her nose. She is warmer than I would expect her to be, but is not burning up. She's very quiet, but I was told by her breeder that she is the quieter of the two pups and is more reserved than her brother (so I don't know whether the quietness is just her personality?). She has been walking round and exploring her new surroundings, but in a very calm manner.

So, in your opinion, does this earn a visit to the vet? She doesn't seem to be full blown ill, just a bit off colour. Is it likely to be just stress from moving homes, leaving her mother, venturing outside for the first time, journeying in a car for the first time, etc? Or is it more likely an illness she has picked up (her breeder had 15+ dogs)?

I would sppreciate some quick replies. Thank you.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I would definately take her to the vet. When bringing home a new pet you should always take them to the vet right away to be checked out even if nothing seems really wrong. You are definately noticing something so it should be checked. Has your new puppy had her shots? There are so many illnesses that puppies can pick up and they can go from off color to full blown sick very quickly. It is always better to treat them early on. I would go right away to the vet.
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Thanks for the reply. Will book her into the vets for tomorrow (I'm in the UK, so it's 7pm here) and get her checked out. She is eating, drinking, and going to the toilet fine, so don't think it's anything too serious, but better to be safe than sorry I suppose. She hasn't had any vaccinations as of yet, I asked her breeder this morning and he said that she was too young to have them done just yet (do they start at 8wks?).
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Congratulations on your new addition! It's good that you are taking her to the vet tomorrow to get checked out. Chances are she is healthy and the things you are noticing are normal.

Puppies do tend to breath very rapidly and the snorting is quite common in chow pups, so that in and of itself is not necessarily an indication of a problem. They will also be running around one second, and drop over fast asleep the next, waking up again in a few seconds or minutes. This is all part of the behavior that they exhibit when with their mother and litter-mates. Normal range for a temperature should be between 100 and 102.5 degrees, so you could check that to see what it is running and report that to the vet. The clear nasal discharge can also be somewhat normal, since they are short-snouted dogs, they tend to have fluid appear at the nose on occasion, particularly if they have been sleeping on their back.

Try not to worry about it, the vet will be able to check her for you soon.
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Thanks JH, that's very reassuring.

Is is normal for a 7wk old pup to be somewhat wobbly on her feet? She's not an overly strong walker at the moment, and doesn't go any faster than a walk. She was brought up on a longboat, so perhaps being on solid land has something to do with the wobbliness?
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I agree you should take her to the vet. You should always take a new puppy (or any other animal) to your vet to have a good once over. As far as being quiet, she doesn't know who you are, where she is, or where her mom/siblings are. Give her time. Although, Tucker was always a quiet boy. Never made a peep about anything. And the wobble walking I wouldn't worry about too much at this point. She's still a baby.
ImageImageImage
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

This puppy is stressed. She's been taken away from her mother and sibling and is in a completely new place, new people, new smells, new sounds, new everything. All the signs you describe, describe a stressed out pup.

At 7-8 weeks, she will be going through her first fear stage (this is why I never let my pups go to new homes until they are at least 10 weeks old), so stress is to be expected with her entire world just being turned upside down. You will want to keep an eye on her and encourage her in being brave doing the right things and completely IGNORE when she makes mistakes or is naughty for at least two weeks.

Every time you feed her or she drinks water - take her immediately outside to do her business (have patience, this can take a few minutes) and praise, praise, praise her. Every time she's had a nap of at least 30 minutes, take her out immediately she wakes up. Again, praise, praise, praise her. Make everything a good thing to do. If there are mistakes in the house - just clean up (use white vinegar on the spot to neutralise) - don't yet start to correct her even if you catch her in the act - just pick her up and put her outside...

If she startles at something, do not say "It's ok" - it is not ok to be startled. Rather, you go to the "thing" that startled her and encourage her to investigate it. Praise, praise, praise for the investigation. If it is a noise - acknowledge there was a noise (oh that was a loud noise wasn't it) and then distract her with something she likes (cuddly toy or a cuddle or...)

Try to maintain a calm and quiet and encouraging voice (everyone in the household) around her. Try not to force her to do anything - again encourage her, praise her when she does the right thing; ignore her and don't correct her when she doesn't til she is well and truly past the 8 week point. Try even now to introduce her to clicker training - works a treat with puppies and any aged Chow.

However, you should indeed have your vet give her a thorough going over - you can't be too safe with a baby.

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Sahara91 wrote:Thanks JH, that's very reassuring.

Is is normal for a 7wk old pup to be somewhat wobbly on her feet? She's not an overly strong walker at the moment, and doesn't go any faster than a walk. She was brought up on a longboat, so perhaps being on solid land has something to do with the wobbliness?

The wobbliness is to be expected for a pup at this age. She is still a baby, and is really young to have been taken away from her mother. Most breeders that I know won't let pups go unless they are between 10-12 weeks since they are really dependent upon the mother. I would be very careful to limit her movement and to protect her from too much activity at this stage including running and jumping.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Remember she is only a very small baby and has left her mother.
Treat her very gently, like the baby chowling she is and let her sleep as often as she wants to.
Don't let her be disturbed and passed around to be cuddled too much.
Talk to her often when she is awake and when you have chosen her name say it to her often and it will have meaning for her.
And yes a trip to the vet is a good idea with a new puppy. Hope all is well. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Thanks all. Just to say that I took her to the vets yesterday evening (everyone in the waiting room melted when they saw her! :lol: ), and all seems to be well. She was given a general check up, and I was told that there is nothing that is nothing to worry about. I was given some flea treatment and wormer for her, as well as 6wks free insurance, and she's been booked in for next Monday for her first vaccination.

Since going to the vet, she has become far more bouncy and playful, mush less wobbly, and her nose and eyes aren't half as runny as they were. She has been an angel, the first night she was here she cried a couple fo times, last night (her second night) she was quiet as a mouse. Baby chowling's teeth are oh so sharp though :shock: :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Baby chowling teeth are indeed very sharp - little pins - or darning needles and words that come to mind. :D
Bless her, she is only a baby but she will soon have the entire household wrapped round her gorgeous, fat, woolly little paws!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Glad to hear she is doing better. Yes those teeth are monster sharp. I have scars and holes in clothing to show for them. But it gets better when those sharp little things turn into big boy/girl teeth!!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

I think when she was at home, she always lived in the shadow of her brother. Her breeder told me that her brother was like her mother, into everything and lively - chewing everything, and she was more like her dad - quiet, relaxed and not quite worked out how to use her teeth. For the first few hours, she followed that description perfectly. Having been here for over 2 days, she is sinking her teeth into everything she possibly can (the power she has behind those tiny jaws is shocking!), and has just this moment figured out that she can RUN! At home she was very quiet and only walking, for the first two days here all she has done is walk (rather wobbly). She's discovered the magic of running and has been pelting round the house for the past half hour, crashing into allsorts, spinning round, skidding round corners, and generally casuing havoc :lol: Bless her, I think she already has the whole household wrapped round those bear-cub paws :wink: You just can't blame her for anything with an angel face like that!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Hell! She has discovered how to do zoomies!

Hee!Hee! wait 'till she does those when she is fully grown! Hee!Hee! :lol: :lol:
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

You do put it best, Judy. Gorgeous, fat, woolly little paws indeed! I miss those on Pudding, she's a langy teenager right now :( Relish them and kiss them often Sahara!

Oh and zoomies... they are hilarious and dangerous at the same time, can't live without them.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, but when she matures, she will get her fat woolly paws back! Milly Did.
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Terrific!!! That's GREAT news and gives me hope. [-o| I miss fat woolly paws.
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Oh yes - I adore those fat woolly paws! She does however find it amusing to dunk them in her water bowl every half hour :roll: :lol:

Her zoomies have almost had me on the floor on several occasions, but watching those fluffy legs flail around as she zigzags round and round the room is just hilarious - love her to bits already, even if she does insist on chewing me to pieces!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh yes, just wait until she is a big girl doing zoomies. Sounds like a heard of elephants coming through the house!!! Butters has scared me more than once just walking, the floor creaks like a full grown person is trying to sneak up on ya!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh, do fat, furry paws come back?

I thought I had lost them forever. Mia's a bit gangly these days. Seems like her little stilts grew out of her body and she runs on them.

Oh what I wouldn't do for a little chubby paw.
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Now, I watch her fat little pantaloons as she runs around and swishes her little hips.

Oh, please let her never loose those fluffy pantaloons.
Mia
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Mia wrote:Oh, do fat, furry paws come back?

I thought I had lost them forever. Mia's a bit gangly these days. Seems like her little stilts grew out of her body and she runs on them.

Oh what I wouldn't do for a little chubby paw.
Yes they certainly do!! I promise! :D

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Sahara91 wrote:Oh yes - I adore those fat woolly paws! She does however find it amusing to dunk them in her water bowl every half hour :roll: :lol:

Her zoomies have almost had me on the floor on several occasions, but watching those fluffy legs flail around as she zigzags round and round the room is just hilarious - love her to bits already, even if she does insist on chewing me to pieces!
Sahara
Wilbur chewed me to bits for the first 2/3 weeks he was home. My legs are scarred from his "chewing" on me. It has now passed though - yeh! Zoomies are the best. When Wilbur does them he puts his ears right back :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sorry I missed your post...

The journey alone was enough to stress your puppy,
then add leaving mommy at such a young age, wow...poor little baby. I'm glad all is better now!
For future reference, after a long stressful journey,
you may want to try giving your furkid a dose or two of *Nutri-Cal (sold at most pet stores) to help them regain their energy.
With black strap molasses as it's base, it is chock full
of vitamins, especially B vitamins for stress, and some sugar for energy.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

Rowlee wrote:Sahara
Wilbur chewed me to bits for the first 2/3 weeks he was home. My legs are scarred from his "chewing" on me. It has now passed though - yeh! Zoomies are the best. When Wilbur does them he puts his ears right back :lol:
Ahh, that's good to hear - at what age did the chewing subside? I swear the little monster's jaws are getting more powerful by the day - I'm covered in battle wounds!! Am tempted to cell her Xena - warrior princess seems like the perfect title for her! :shock: :lol:

Thanks bama, will make a note of that. I think little fuzzball has forgotten about mum now - she's ruling the house!