Questions about water consumption and rawhides

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clockman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions about water consumption and rawhides

Post by Clockman »

I have two questions and didn't feel like creating two separate threads, so here goes.

1. How much water does your chow pup drink? Emma is six months old and really seems to drain the bowl. She's been to the vet in the past month for spaying and first checkup (since I got her) and everything checked out ok. Just curious how thirsty yours might be.

2. How good/bad are rawhide chewies for chows? To keep her amused, I've been giving her a new one every time she devours the last old one. I was just concerned about her digestion. I've heard pigs ears aren't good for them, but someone said cow hooves were. Any medical thoughts?

3. Guess what, I thought up number three! How long and vigorously do you exercise your chow? Emma and I went on a 45 minute "Cesar Millan walk" yesterday, with stops in between for water. We came home and she rested inside and outside for at least two hours before dinner. She inhaled her dinner so fast that within an hour, she threw it up. Today, we started on our walk and after 15 minutes, we stopped for water. She again drank so quickly she started gagging. So, question is, am I overdoing the walks or should I eliminate the drinks during the walk?
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

It's been a while since I had a puppy but from what I can remember, mine didn't drink excessive amounts of water... Even now, mine won't drink much except for after walks, play, that kind of thing.

As far as rawhides, I do not like them for my dogs. I am afraid that a larger piece will break off and get lodged in the throat. I may just be overprotective, but that is my opinion on them. Why not try one of those bones that won't break down or possibly a kong?

I'm not sure about the walking question. In my opinion I think a 45 minute walk may be a bit long for a 6 month old puppy. But we'll see what everyone else says :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I never had a puppy but mine drinks alot of water, I have heard never give them rawhides because of what the last poster said and a few other problems... The walks, I would think if you walked her normal style and not ceaser milian style what ever that is the time should be ok. I don't know about puppies but I would think as long as your not pushing or forcing them the more exercise the better if you see its getting tired time to stop.

Is ceaser milian style hanging them by the leach or dragging them by the leash on walks

Here is a link/poll that was just started you can get an Idea of how people walk thier Chows.

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7871
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

1} Excessive thirst could be a sign of medical problems.
You say "everything checked out"...did you have bloodwork done? Renal problems and or diabetes are just a couple of medical problems with symptoms of excessive thirst.
Both ailments require bloodwork for testing.
Curious?....How's the urine output?

2) Yep, being a puppy, she wants to chew...a lot! :lol:
I don't feed rawhides, in addition to being unsafe, they contain inert ingredients that are unhealthy, one being sodium, which could be causing the excessive thirst.
You would do Emma a favor by omitting the rawhide chews completely. You could try some chew toys instead?

3) I don't know what a Cesar Milan walk is? #-o
But, anyway I would not over work a puppy with growing bones.
A brisk walk of 20 minutes, a couple of times per day is safe for puppies. Now, is the best time to teach Emma to not jump on and off furniture...it's better for the joints if they never start this bad habit.
If Emma is thirsty, allow her to drink. She won't drink water if she isn't thirsty.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My pup is 4 months & (like my 1yr old did) lives to drink water IMO... then he lives to pee! He's medically fine, the vet says they drink a lot because they are so little they're metabolism is fast.

I provide chew treats but not rawhide. There are other products that are safer IMO

I amble more than walk with Alf, as I don't want him running to keep up with me all the time. I stop to let him sniff & enjoy his walk & provide water regularly. I'd be very concerned if he was sick. Maybe slow the pace & duration of walks down? At 6 months Millie was walking for an hour but at a slower pace.
Thank you Elodie!
Clockman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clockman »

I was thinking the rawhides may be adding to her thirst. I've been giving her carrots since I got her at five months and she loves them. They just don't last as long as rawhide.

As far as the walk goes, there's no strangling or running, just a brisk walk. What I'm trying to do is to lessen the whining (possible anxiety or boredom) with exercise as well as to point out that I'm in charge. At this point, she's a pup; she's pulling me along and all over the place. I just want her to be easier on the leash and enjoy the walk (both of us). I may be an overachiever, working her before maturity, but I want to develop good leash manners.

I don't believe in choke collars, etc., but I want to be in charge before we begin the fun.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I just want to tell everyone,PLEASE DO NOT GIVE any dog hooves.we learned the hard way that they fracture their teeth.one of my poor boys fractured 4 teeth,that had to be removed.the dentist said hooves are the worst chew to give a dog.
I give my chows the chewable nylabones,the ones that are edible.they come in flavors,like lamb,turkey,etc.
as for walking,my puppy Kai is 7 months old and we walk for 45 min. to 1 hour.he is very energetic and loves his walks.
have you thought of taking Emma to a little group training class?you would both enjoy working together.I think its very bonding.
jacqui
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I have a pup who is almost 5 mos old and I think he drinks alot as well. I do not give the rawhid bones either. He has various kinds of toys that he enjoys and I give him different kinds of edible chew bones. I tried a nylabone and he had zero interest in it even though it was suppose to be chicken flavored. He also snubs his nose at the kong toys even when I put peanut butter inside. We usually go for 2 walks a day for 15-20 minutes each. They probably should be longer and will get there hopefully but we also play in the backyard...running and chasing the ball every afternoon. Yes my Shug actually plays fetch but shhhh don't tell the other chows on here. :shock:
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Ginger drinks a lot but she is also fairly active. We use the kong toys, floss ropes, and nylabones for chewing but not rawhides. I don't know much about the walking thing since I am still learning and am trying to balance not being dragged later in life with letting her explore. I do think you might want to check the bloat posts though if you are exercising and walking near a meal.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "How long and vigorously do you exercise your chow? Emma and I went on a 45 minute "Cesar Millan walk" yesterday, with stops in between for water."

There are several archived threads stressing the importance of limiting exercise in growing pups in order to protect the joints. The pup should determine the pace, and the human should choose the route to include softer surfaces, such as grass and sand. 'Vigorous' should be limited to a few minutes at a time, for a Chow. Don't expect Millan to be aware of what is best for any dog. Also, keep in mind that vigorous exercise draws blood supply away from the digestive tract.

Rawhides also may contain bleaching agents and arsenic, and contribute to gastric inflammation.
Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugos~ »

Hugo drinks alot,and pee's alot.Tried giving him less water at night,but he just barks for it till i give him some water.
Chow Chow named Hugo!
spacey8008
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Questions about water consumption and rawhides

Post by spacey8008 »

Clockman wrote:I have two questions and didn't feel like creating two separate threads, so here goes.

1. How much water does your chow pup drink? Emma is six months old and really seems to drain the bowl. She's been to the vet in the past month for spaying and first checkup (since I got her) and everything checked out ok. Just curious how thirsty yours might be.

2. How good/bad are rawhide chewies for chows? To keep her amused, I've been giving her a new one every time she devours the last old one. I was just concerned about her digestion. I've heard pigs ears aren't good for them, but someone said cow hooves were. Any medical thoughts?

3. Guess what, I thought up number three! How long and vigorously do you exercise your chow? Emma and I went on a 45 minute "Cesar Millan walk" yesterday, with stops in between for water. We came home and she rested inside and outside for at least two hours before dinner. She inhaled her dinner so fast that within an hour, she threw it up. Today, we started on our walk and after 15 minutes, we stopped for water. She again drank so quickly she started gagging. So, question is, am I overdoing the walks or should I eliminate the drinks during the walk?
For your question, I suggest you use water flosser.