Link: Eyelid Tumors

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Link: Eyelid Tumors

Post by kiwani »

This link contains an overview of eyelid tumors; a list of signs and symptoms; a description of the various types of eyelid tumors - including inflammatory growths, etc. which resemble tumors; also lists procedures and treatments.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/eyelid-tum ... page1.aspx
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thanks Kawani, Mucoid or pus-like discharge from the eye is what I ment not gooky stuff. It dosn't look like any of the pictures, Its right at the tip of her top eye lid, you just barly lift her lid and its on the tip.

My biggest worry, there is no way the vet is going to get anywhere near her eye to even look at it with out sedating her I worry more about sedation then I do Cancer, I can do something about cancer but I can't do anything about sedation except say keep it low but if they keep it low it won't work so they uslly have to over dose her just to get her to the isoflorine (sp) The last time she was sedated, two ace pills and a shot of ace didn't work Pekoe fought it off so they had to give her a shot to stop and clear out the ace then give her something stronger, we all waited around for 4 hours for something to take effect on her, they finelly said thats it we can't spend the whole day waiting for a seditive to work we have to knock her out. She's getting to old to be sedating her. I told this vet before I just spent $10,000 to keep her alive i'm sure don't want you killing her with a seditive.

Anyway the area isn't red, there is no swellling or bump its just kind of hanging there, it has to be rubbing agaist the eye and bothering her. she's acting normal she's not favoring the eye, i can touch it she dosn't flinch or blink. just that mucus stuff tearing. I wiped it off yesturday morning no tearing all day then this morning it was there again.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I certainly understand what an ordeal it is getting Pekoe sedated, and I share your concern about all the drugs. First things first though. Earlier today, I mentioned 'tarsal gland adenomas', they are also known as 'meibomian glands adenomas'. These still seem to be what you are describing. Here are two excerpts. If at least you have a better idea of what these growths are called, and how they're treated, you'll be better informed when you get to the doctor.

Excerpt #1:

"Meibomium gland adenomas. These small growths are commonly called 'eyelid warts'. They are very common on the eyelid margins of older dogs. They are small tumours growing from glands which open on the edges of the eyelids. When tiny they may not irritate a dog, but as they grow they rub on the cornea, causing irritation, discharge and then ulceration. They need to be removed surgically. It is not sufficient to cut off the visible wart. The root of the tumour in the eyelid needs to be excised as well, so we will cut a triangular piece of tissue out of the eyelid. Cosmetically this looks very good, even for quite large tumours. However, as with all growths, the earlier they are dealt with the quicker the surgery and the less disruption to the patient, so if you see one on your dog, seek advice sooner rather than later"

http://www.falklandvets.co.uk/newsletters/summer03.html

Excerpt #2:

"Meibomian gland tumors are tiny, slow-growing tumors that form in the meibomian glands of the eyelids. (Meibomian glands are sebaceous glands that provide an oily secretion to stabilize the tear film over the cornea.) Common in older dogs, meibomian gland tumors are usually benign, but a small percentage of them are carcinomas that can metastasize into lymph nodes.

Meibomian gland tumors can protrude outward or can extend into the eyelid. Some of these tumors will become ulcerated. Some will cause keratoconjunctivitis (an inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva). Benign tumors generally do not spread, but they can become inflamed, irritated, and painful. If the tumor becomes large enough, it can cause problems during blinking (resulting in extra tearing and tear staining). Most meibomian gland tumors grow slowly. A veterinarian can detect them easily because of where the tumors are located.

Treating the Tumor with Surgery and Cryosurgery Many of these tumors can be completely removed with surgery. If the tumor isn't completely removed, it may continue to grow. In many cases, only a mild sedative and local anesthesia will be necessary. The larger the lesion, the more likely that general anesthesia will be required. Cryosurgery (tissue freezing) may also be used to ablate (remove) the tumor."
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2463
alice123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Link: Eyelid Tumors

Post by alice123 »

I think there is a great need to know about eyelid tumor. Well, there is a common type of eyelid tumor, generally known as benign eyelid tumor. Know more about eyelid tumor including its symptoms, causes and treatments as well. You will also know here, how to diagnose eyelid tumor easily.