In heat too early?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mitchan14
Rank 0
Rank 0

In heat too early?

Post by mitchan14 »

Clowie had her second heating season today. Last time she had was April 14. I heard that it has to be about 6 months before she comes in heat again. But it's only been 4 months. Is this normal?

Help!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Yes, it can be pretty normal for them to cycle again in 4 months. Just keep an eye on her, sometimes they are subject to get Pyo with an irregular heat cycle, watch for any mucous discharge right after the cycle, or even during. They can get a closed Pyo, if she gets sluggish and acts sick you should take her to the vet to be checked out.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Kimba is 16 months old and shes only had one heat back when she was 6 months old....she hasn't had another one yet....should i be worried? When she went for her yearly check up at the vet...i asked about it and the vet said not to worry.
thanks sweetpea
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It's not something you want to worry yourself about, but with a female you always need to be on the lookout for Pyo around their heat cycle. Anytime they start acting real lethargic or you see any kind of discharge that doesn't look normal you need to get them to the vet and be checked.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!