Allergies

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BradBearsAngel113
Rank 0
Rank 0

Allergies

Post by BradBearsAngel113 »

We have just adopted a Chow Chow from the shelter, he is not eating very well and has a runny nose and his eyes water alot could this be allergies?
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

It could be allergies or maybe kennel cough. Best to take him to a vet right away and have it checked out properly.
BradBearsAngel113
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BradBearsAngel113 »

We took him to the vet a week ago and was given a clean bill of health ( with the exception that he's a little thin). We changed his food and were reading on other posts that other chows have allergies to food. Can the vet do tests?
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

How long have you had your new Chow? What brand of food? Do you use a crate for him?

When dogs first come in to a new home it can take a while before they feel safe enough to eat. Runny nose and eyes can be allergies but it is best to ask the vet.

This site has a lot of great information on different types of food for our Chows, stop by the nutrition section and browse around. The crate can give him a place to feel safe and to get away for Chow time.

To help him eat try a small amount of cheese in his dish.

Larry
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Yes, the vet can do a patch test for allergies. How old is your chow? How long have you had him? I have a itchy chow but my vet is against testing just yet before we see if it is seasonal or is caused by food. The vet's known her for a over a year, my chow is almost 2yrs old. I was told if the itching seems to bother her too much, I can give her Benedryl.
You say you've changed his food, did you cold turkey or did it incrementaly? What are you feeding him? Many on this site stay away from corn & wheat. Just as humans chows can be allergic to anythng, from chicken to turkey to pollen, etc. If you suspect what he was on is better for him, you can change back to that for the time being.
But, w/ his symptoms, if I were you, I would just take him in to the vet just to be sure it isn't anything else.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

If your rescue Chow has recently been vaccinated (especially with lepto and rabies) - weepy eyes, runny nose, loss of appetite, are often signs of allergic reactions to the vaccinations, and symptoms might last for days in a stressed dog.

Keep in mind that tears also drain into the nasal passage. So any allergens causing weepy eyes can increase draining in the nose too. If your doctor has ruled out eye and eyelid problems, then environmental allergens are one factor to consider, (for instance, the air quality has been pretty bad this summer.)

Foods like chicken and animal fat, often contribute to weepy eyes in Chows. There are threads in the archives on the various causes of weepy eyes in Chows, as well.

As for stimulating appetite, I often recommend canned Green Tripe, for rescue or debilitated Chows, as well as B-complex. Those topic threads are also in the archives.

All best wishes for a healthy and happy Chow.
Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

Hey there!

Our Mika was exhibiting a lot of allergy symptoms, so we put her on hypo-allergenic food and got blood allergy testing done by the vet - now after finding out she's allergic to many things, have it all under control and she's a happy healthy doggy!!

Sarah