Allergies and eye problems

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Churchill

Allergies and eye problems

Post by Churchill »

My Chow Chow Cody has had two eye surgeries for an inverted eyelid that was rubbing on his eye. His tear duct is open but his eye constantly runs and under his eye stays moist and he gets sores. In addition, he has acne like break outs under his chin and on his throat that go undetected until they break out and are bloody. He has had allergy tests and is shown to be allergic to many things. We changed all of his food, bowls etc. and unless he is constantly on an antibiotic, he still breaks out. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem. This is our send Chow and the first we have ever experienced this problem.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Hi. My girl Willow does have some similiar issues and often times being on antibiotics is the only thing that will help.

Our vet told us to try to keep the areas clean and dry. I know, not so easy if it's near the mouth, but I just wipe her mouth often throughout the day with a towel. I also use Itch Stop Wipes from Petkin. They can be purchased at the big chain pet stores. For times when something over the counter won't work the vet also gave me Malaseb Pledgets to use. They are medicated wipes. I THINK they can now be purchased without a prescription but I'm not positive. They are by DVM Pharmaceuticals.

For the tearing eyes I've found that the ONLY thing that helps is a prescription ointment called, Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Ointment. It's not something that you would want to use daily but when Willow's eyes were so bad they were tearing down her mane, I used it twice daily and then tapered off to where we only use it now if she's getting bad again. It's inexpensive also.

Anyway, sorry for the long response. Hope it's helped.

Lori