Re: drop ears

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: drop ears

Post by jojasp5 »

Hello,
I've recently purchased a chow chow male. He is about 12 weeks old. He has drop ears that aren't erect as they should be. He has an older brother whos ears aren't erect either. This is puzzling to me because both parents ears are erect. How long should I wait to see any change in this condition before I resign to accepting the drop ears in my chow chow.

jojasp5
jojasp5
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

bump
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

sometimes it happens. I had a female chow that had one drop ear, i got her when she was year and half old, because the breeder had sold her as a show dog, and with a drop ear she could not be shown ! But ya love them the same !
thanks sweetpea
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Sid Vicious has one 'drop ear'.. It actually flops up and down, he will stick it up straight but that's on a rare occasion..
bull_princess918
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bull_princess918 »

both of my chows ears are dropped & my boy has a shaggy coat{which is not something I'm used to on a chow} I never really thought they would/should stick straight up{that's prob b/c all dogs I know of who's ears sit up have been clipped that way}...... :lol: I wouldn't worry too much about that esp. if they are healthy & happy 8)
BEAUTIFUL
INTELLIGENT
TANTALIZING
CHARASMATIC
HUMBLE
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I was told that the drop ears on a chow chow can cause ear infections and other ear problems. I don't know if that's true it came from a local breeder here but if you would like the ears to stand up you can tape them in that position and leave them taped for about a week and check to see if they are standing up if not tape them again for another week. It doesn't hurt them any as long as you use medical tape nothing else would work as well and would end up hurting the poor baby when you take it off. As far as I know this only works for puppies not sure if it would work in an older dog. And a little side note they look so darn cute with the ears taped kinda like they have little pig tails!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

:Julia: Tape Sid Vicious' EARS?? You're kidding me now, aren't you? Can you imagine me trying to put tape on the Princely Sid Vicious? bewahahahahaha!!!!!

Ok, now you got me started on "questions and answers" time.. Do people who "show" Chows surgically alter ears?? Has it happened? What happens if they do? Can something like that be caught?
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I would never suggest to tape Sid's ears!! He is probably too old for it to even work anyway only with puppies and from what I heard it is supposed to be done preferably before 12 weeks of age but can be done up to 36 weeks. As far as the "clipping" of the ears I would NEVER do that!! That would be like saying "oh look my ears are too far apart I must have plastic surgery to correct this" Uggghhhhh no way! Besides I think that Sid would be a little imbarresed in front of all of his doggy friends at the park with little pig tail looking things lol :wink:
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

ha ha ha, could you imagine? He would be hiding behind me!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "How long should I wait to see any change in this condition before I resign to accepting the drop ears in my chow chow."

Drop ears often get stronger after teething, though some members mentioned their Chows' ears taking longer. There are some drop-ear discussions in the archives you might be interested in too.