HELP MY ZOEYS LEGS

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

zoey
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP MY ZOEYS LEGS

Post by zoey »

Hi everyone - I'm a 1st time pet owner, and I was so in love with a 8 week chow chow sitting in the window at a pet shop. We bought her on Sun, and we have discovered that her 2 front legs are caving outwards, the vet said that I was to try and go to an orthopaedic surgeon 2 examine her. I have a 15mnth old son, whom loves her but can't play with her, I am stuck in between choosing whether or not to send her back 2 the pet shop as I cannot afford her medical expenses right now! I am so heart sore to this matter, as I can't see her hobble along any longer. Do u know if this is common in CHOW's
jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jojasp5 »

Hi Zoey,
no this is not a common problem in chows. Pet stores are the last place that you would want to purchase a puppy from. Try a reputable kennel or breeder for a sound chow puppy. Puppy's with problems like yours are the result of breeding unhealthy stock and should be avoided. If I were you I woudl seek out a rescue group that could possibly take your puppy since you can't afford the vet bill. Sorry for you and your puppy.
jojasp5
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

aw.. thats sad...poor puppy...and yes never buy a chow from a pet store...a good breeder is the way to go if you want a sound dog, and even then there can be problems ! It would be to hard for me to give my dog back !!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

So SAD, Zoey :cry:
Unforunately, those of us who do not know these things about the Pet Store animals fall prey to the CUTIE PIES in the windows. I am sooo sorry for you and your family and even sorrier for the lil puppy. They probably won't give you your money, and if they do, the puppy will probably end up PTS. So contacting a rescue group would be the VERY BEST thing for the puppy. You could always RESCUE a puppy, from one of the Rescue Groups or even Petfind. My Kyra is a rescue puppy and she is adorable. :wink:
Good Luck!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm so sorry to hear of your baby chows' problem.
You poor thing, I'm sure you didn't know pet shops' are the absolute worst place to get a pet.
Most of the time these sweet little Pet shop puppies are plagued with all kinds of health problems. Most of these puppies come from puppy mills. If you aren't familiar with what a puppy mill is, then you may want to research them online. I gotta warn you tho, it isn't pretty.

I agree with Vickie, allowing a resce to take your puppy, so that he will get the medical attention he needs would be best. You can find rescues under, "links" here at cc.org.
Also, you can list your puppy in our "Chows needing a home" section.
You might post what part of the country you are in, so that we may give you more details for rescues in your area.
You were smart to seek out this website, I hope we can help you.
Since this is your first pet, I hope you will join us and learn more about the chow breed. Honestly, you may discover that a chow is not for you, who knows?
Whatever breed you are interested in for the future,
I will be happy to help you with information.
You may send me a private message, if you like, I'd love to hear from you, and I'll do my best to help you.

Please let us know if we can be of further help.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!