update on george

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowdad
Rank 0
Rank 0

update on george

Post by chowdad »

George had a good news visit to the vet today. He is recovering from a staph infection, but will still need antibiotics for another month. His sores are all healing and his appetite has returned. He had lost 9 lbs on his visit two weeks ago. today he had gained 3 lbs back. He weighs 54 now and his healthy weight was 60. The last vet visit the dr prescribed a high calorie food called A/D made by hill's. It is canned and I feed him one can a day by hand. He is such a picky eater that I just put some on a spoon then on my finger and I toss it down his throat. He seems to enjoy this morning routine. He will lick the spoon, can and lid, but he will not eat the stuff on his own. He started 2 new antibiotics 2 weeks ago, and discontinued the cephalexin. He now takes clavamox and doxycycline. I have been using a lot of aloe vera on his sores, and it seems much more effective than the medicated creams. One of the unexpected things in his recovery is his temper. He has started barking a lot, and is nearly impossible/dangerous to tend to sometimes. It now takes two of us to bathe him. He never let us handle him, but it's been so long that we forgot how strong and hard headed he could be.

Take Care,
John
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Ohhhhhh, I was just thinking about your George the other day! Thanks for the update & so pleased to hear that he is getting better. Not sure about the temper but it shows his fighting spirit :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

John:

=D= =D= =D= So glad to hear George is improving and that the aloe vera gel is helping him heal. I also have found that aloe vera gel works best as well. Healing always seems to have its own time span and I always need to learn patience on that one, maybe George needs to learn that as well with his temper that's ensuing. He'll be back to normal once he's all healed. Thank you so much for the update and thanks for being such a good Chowdad. Hugs and kisses to George. \:D/
Jennifer & Sheena
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I'm glad he is making progress.
~ Sally