Pet Vaccines.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pet Vaccines.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just found this, might be of interest to some.

You may be a party to a potential class action lawsuit arising from the misrepresentation of the need for vaccinations for your pets.

If, within the last four years, you have paid for any of the following pet vaccinations without receiving adequate disclosure, you may have a claim for damages. The vaccines include the following:

1) Annual vaccination for canine distemper, parvovirus, and feline distemper, rhinotracheitis, calcivirus
(Scientific studies indicate that repeat administration of these vaccines provides no beneficial effect.)

2) Corona virus vaccination.
(Scientific studies indicate dogs over 8 weeks old are not susceptible to this disease.)

3) Leptospirosis or Lyme disease vaccination
(Research indicates these diseases are rare to non-existent in Texas and many other parts of the country.)

4) Feline Aids vaccine, Feline Infectious Peritonitis vaccine, or Giardia vaccine
(Scientific studies have shown these vaccines to be ineffective.)

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/classaction.html [www.dogsadversereactions.com]
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I only do rabies and heartworm. My daughter's cat and my mom's tom cat, Sneaky Pete, used to get the feline vacs. I felt better that Sneaky got them, he was quite the lathario, and was, shall we say, in contact with alot of other felines. We got them through Foster & Smith. Sneaky passed a few years back, and Kitsy Wu stopped taking them because she does not come in contact with other cats. Now I find out it didn't matter anyway. :?
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Jeff, thanks for the info.
Our cat had aids, the vet told us when he tested him that they didn't have a vaccine for it. I guess he knew it didn't work.
We are in a medium risk area for Lyme and we have deer that jump over the fence to get in the yard. Our county is close to 50% national & state forest and I have seen deer, turkey, coyote and fox in town, not to mention raccoon, skunk, groundhog and opossum. I didn't like the risk of the vaccine when we started it so I only had the young dog treated, Missy was about 11 and I didn't want to stress her, she lived to 16. There are reported cases of Lyme & Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever here so I now need to weigh the risk. In the spring and fall Charlie will stay out all day if we let him.

JLS
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jeff&Vicki wrote:Jeff, thanks for the info.
Our cat had aids, the vet told us when he tested him that they didn't have a vaccine for it. I guess he knew it didn't work.
We are in a medium risk area for Lyme and we have deer that jump over the fence to get in the yard. Our county is close to 50% national & state forest and I have seen deer, turkey, coyote and fox in town, not to mention raccoon, skunk, groundhog and opossum. I didn't like the risk of the vaccine when we started it so I only had the young dog treated, Missy was about 11 and I didn't want to stress her, she lived to 16. There are reported cases of Lyme & Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever here so I now need to weigh the risk. In the spring and fall Charlie will stay out all day if we let him.JLS
When I lived in the Bay area Pekoe got the lyme vaccine every year plus I used advatage and on special occasions doulbled up with a tick collar even with all that protection I was still pulling ticks off of her but as for the Lyme vaccine I never noticed Pekoe having any reaction to it. I think if the Vet does a through exam with blood test and all is well the vaccine should be ok. In your area I would think the vaccine would be a must.

That artical makes it sound like there is a first series of lyme shots, I don't remember Pekoe ever getting any series of lyme shots or boosters, all she got that I can remember was one lyme shot a year with the rest of the vaccines.

Victory has been getting her Chows the Lyme Vaccine for years I don't think she has had any problems with it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
monicaxyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by monicaxyz »

you can ask for a "titer" (sp?) test before giving any vaccines. this determines if the immunity from the last vaccine is still in place, so you don't need to immunize as often.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I've always just listened to the vet when he says it's time for... But if I do ask about something specific, he will tell me that she doesn't need it. But living in the Rocky Mountains it's pretty sure she will be vaccinated for the spotted tick and other locations specific diseases
~ Sally
chowdad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowdad »

George is almost 10 and has been very ill for several months, his shots are due now, but after reading up on them I am not planning to give him any more vaccines. He got all they made last year, and I believe they will last the rest of his life.
John