When is it the right time to let go?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

hopspal
Rank 0
Rank 0

When is it the right time to let go?

Post by hopspal »

I posted earlier about my sweet dog having a possible disk problem, he is just getting worse. I don't know what he has because I can't afford to have the tests done to find out. I have him under "crate" restricition, well I did, now he is in a corner, in a makeshift playpen, that he seems to like much better. He isn't trembling and whining about being in a crate and is resting a lot more. He is actually moving less in the corner. The problem is that he isn't getting any better. He is on tramadol, 2 pills, three times a day and he is still in excruciating pain. His pain started on April 4, and slowly it has gotten worse. He has such a sad, miserable look in his eyes and I don't want to have him suffer more than necessary. I have such high hopes he'll get better but I don't want to make him live longer then he should for my sake. So how do you know when it's time to help your best friend rest? I feel like I know it's time but I would hate to make a rash decision when he could get better but I don't want him to suffer because I know he deserves the best I can give him.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

In my family of chow's case, they usually tell us when it is time. They have all fought to stay alive and be with us and/or wait to see us one last time when they were being called to the Happy Hunting Ground. However, your chow's case is different. Isn't there anyway you can get the tests performed while paying in installments. You chow is in pain, yes. Forgive me for my frankness; however, not knowing what is the actual cause of his pain and taking it as a cue to "know when it's time to help your best friend rest", in my opinion is not correct. Pain pills don't cure anything, they relieve pain. So, if he is in pain and you want to mask the actual problem, give him the pills that aren't working and will probably cause kidney and liver damage in the long run. Or, find the way and means to get the test performed so you have an informed cause to either continue on with the treatment or make that choice.

Additionally, some medications can actually cause "lameness" in an animal. Meaning, some medications can trigger a response to a nerve allowing it to reach that portion of the brain which controls movement and numbs and prevents the signals to allow movement in a specific area. Zhuyo's hypothyroid medicine needed to be adjusted for that reason. In humans, for instance, my mother is on alzheimer's medication, one of her medications makes her imbalanced and immobile. The same can occur with an animal, especially one as medication sensitive as a chow.
Anyways, bottomline is you don't want to over medicate with pain pills or sedatives and the such, it might bring on a form of respiratory depression. It's just better to find out the actual cause of the pain.

Sorry to be so blunt, but times have been tough for me too and I've managed to manage. This is my opinion. Others may have a different viewpoint.
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paulw »

I hpoe this helps in your possible heartbreaking decision but like us you will realise you will have done the right thing and give a dignified end to such a proud friend.
Holly, our gorgeous red chow, the family pet of 11yrs and 5 months was finally put to sleep last Thursday due to the same problems. She suddenly began having problems with one rear leg only, dragging it and stumbling. We took her to the vet and she was given Metacalm anti inflammatory. She started a a course of this drug, but 2 days later the other leg went and she was dragging her whole back end about, being unable to stand, sit correctly and struggling to go to the toilet. This really upset me to see our proud faithful pet in such distress. I took her back to the vet and the lady there advised her being put to sleep and I had to agree as I couldnt see her suffer any more.
I have never been so upset since I was a child. I never want to go through that again. We now have such a big hole in our lives now and are still in auto pilot, doing the normal things in the house and expecting her to be there.
I have spoken to the vet again since that fateful day to ask what they thought the problem was and why she went down so quickly, from an apparently healthy dog 1 week to her demise the next and they have said it was most probably, in their experience and underlying tumor under her backbone.
I suppose time will be the healer, but I do really miss our gorgeous, cuddly stubborn!! teddy bear. God bless Holly babe.
ImageImage
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Hopspal:
I know you want the best for your baby & it's a very dificult decision to make. I know, I had to put 2 chows down in 2 years. It was the hardest thing I every did in my life. There are many on the site who have been/are in your predicament. Like Lou said sometimes the meds make it worse.. or even mask the real problem. Have you talked to the Dr. to see if he/she will allow you to make payments for further testing? Or, tried getting a second opinion.
If the Dr. can not offer any further solutions/evaluations, it may be time. We will be here to support you, just please make sure you go with him... the hardest thing he will ever have to do is leave you. You're in my thougths and prayers.

Paulw: I'm so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful baby girl & I love her name.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Hopspal,
If you have not found it yet, go to http://www.petloss.com/ and http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
That site, along with our cat and young Chow, is the only thing that kept me in perspective during the decision making process to put down our 16 year old girl. There comes a time in all our lives as pet owners that we have to decide if we are doing justice to our friends by keeping them here. Are we doing it because we don't want to let go of our loved ones or because there is really some hope that they will get better? Animals can tolerate a tremendous amount of pain before we are even aware they are in pain. Your Vet will be able to tell you what kind of life your pet may have even if they pull through a bad time, without having the emotional ties that we have to them.
To put your mind at ease and to not have to wonder if you did all you could, get a second opinion from another Vet, but keep in mind, he is 11 years old, he has had a good life with you, and none of us our getting out of here alive. Unfortunately we all have to face our mortality, and most of us have to be strong and face it for our pets.
Explore every option you have, make a list so you can look at something in black and white, and not have to rely on memory at such an emotional time. And if you decide you can not let him suffer in silence any longer, go with him and hold and comfort him while he goes across the Rainbow Bridge to wait for you to join him on the other side.
If you need to talk to any of us, just PM anyone with a phone number or post that you need to talk and we will PM you our phone number. At a time like this you need support.

You will both be in my prayers,
Jeff Schneider
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Like Lou said, he will tell you when it is time. And when it is, be with him. For your own peace of mind however, is it possible for you to have just one test done? MRI's are expensive, but ultra-sounds aren't as much and they can see a lot with an ultrasound, at least to see if there are any masses, or even an x-ray can see something. It might just be a slipped disc or something and they now have physical thearpy for canines, even acupuncture and chriopratic thearapies to help with disc problems. I saw a show that featured a aussie shepard who was a algitly competitor who had a disc problem that took her out of competition and with chrio and acupunture she was able to compete again.

I have found when I've had to make this decision for three of mine, that knowing what was wrong, even when I couldn't do anything other than know has helped make the decision for me.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I don't know if this organization would be able to help, but it would be worth looking into.

http://myjakebrady.com/index.shtml

It is an organization dedicated to helping pet owners who are having trouble paying for vet cost, at least temporarily. I know there are a few other organzations that have the same kind of programs but have not had much luck in finding contact information for them. If I find them, I will post those as well.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
hopspal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hopspal »

I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. I realize it's a controversial decision and an extremely painful one. If I had the means, or even a job, I would try everything I could to help my dog. It was actually horrible timing that the day after I quit my job, literally, hops woke up at 6:30 in the morning with sudden pain. He had showed no signs of any type of pain earlier, actually the entire 5 years I have had him. So thank you again for your advice. I am going to check out a few of the websites mentioned. My vet is out of town until Friday so that gives me some time to try everything I can. I will definitely speak to the vet thoroughly and let him know what is happening and see what he thinks. The nice thing is that I am home with hops while he is sick and can spend the day sitting next to him and petting him.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I did some more digging and found the name and web address for the other organizations that may be able to help.

http://www.imom.org ...this is supposed to be one of the more helpful sites. They offer grants to qualified applicants to help with vet bills.
http://www.aahahelpingpets.ort
http://www.thepetfund.com
http://www.carecredit.com ....this is actually kind of like a credit card type deal. They give you an amount that you can charge on the program. It does have to be paid back but it is either low interest or no interest at all. For anyone else interested, this is also an option for people needing to visit the doctor or dentist and cannot afford it.
http://www.help-a-pet.org
http://www.handicappedpets.com
http://www.uan.org
http://www.nysave.org ...my understanding is this is a New York aid only
http://www.angels4animals.org/

Again, I cannot guarantee anything, but these organizations were created to help people in your situation. Also, it is complete acceptable to call around to any vets in your area and ask them about prices and payment options. If your regular vet cannot work out arrangement call around and see if anyone else can. The worst they can do is say no.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Hospal,

Another option may be to ask family for a loan or donation or possibly a garage sale to get rid up un necessary things. I know it must be such a hard decison. I don't envy you.

David