teeth cleaning

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

teeth cleaning

Post by Dogdad »

Maxwell is getting his teeth cleaned as we speak. I always get nervious when they put any of my furkids under, for him I am more nervious since I read they don't react well. keep him in your thoughts

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Maxwell will do great. I was nervous when they did Butters but he came out growling as usual at the vet.
chris

Post by chris »

I will keep him in my thoughts. Speaking of teeth cleaning, I have never brushed my chows teeth... and the vet is always impressed with them. BUT.. my little Pom.. Roxi.. her teeth are horrible, so I guess I have to start brushing them. Why is it, that my chows have such nice teeth and hers are yucky?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Hmm. that is strange. I brush Ivana's daily. But I cannot get her to eat bones that clean so I have no choice. She eats dry dog food so that helps some. Does steel chew on more toys? Those are supposed to help? I think?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chris

Post by chris »

No, not really... if anything, it's roxi that eats all the bones and cookies and toys... LOL.. she even takes Steels, but he isn't really interested in cookies.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Personally, I'm more afraid of anesthesia than I am of Orso's teeth going bad. Being anesthetized isn't good for people, so it can't be good for doggies. I'll take my chances with nature!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Like most flat faced animals it is very hard on a chow, but there can be real problems associated with poor dental health. I think it's one of those weigh and measure problems that you have to make a family decision about with the input of the vet. It can be a hard decision to make.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxwell is home, a bit out of it but home. He isn't hungry but did his outdoor biz and had some water. I will make sure he takes it easy.

David
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

He will probably just lay around a while. butters seemed to when he came out of it. Just wanted to be left alone and slept.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Ivana will usually lay around after a vet visit. Ziyear would act like nothing happened even after surgery and try to run us to death!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chowdad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowdad »

I'm really glad Maxwell is home and drinking, I will keep him in my thoughts as he returns to normal.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have never brushed or had Pekoe's teeth cleaned in her life, One dental biscuit a day. her teeth get checked once a year, the vet says they look great no cleaning necessary. For a vet to say that it has to be true he just lost the teeth cleaning money. The risk of anesthesia on a Chow isn't worth teeth cleaning.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

^5, Jeff! =D=
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jeff I didn't know you were a DVD . Maxwells teeth were incredibly bad and we discovered a cracked incisor. My vet uses gas and also Has an ekg unit hooked to the patient. In my case all the dog biscuits wouldn't have helped Maxwells teeth in fact it may have worsened the crack. Perhaps starting out with a puppy you are right but for older dogs with unknown diets, I trust my vets opinion over yours. Sorry if you take this as a slam, it is simply the facts.

dogdad
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thats wonderful, I do what I do and you do what you Do, ok great. I don't like sedations, I don't like meds and I don't like Vets. I just said what I do with Pekoe it has nothing to do with you and Maxwell, I thought I could save you a few bucks but carry on, your doing a great job with maxwell. If your going to jump on every word I say and your offended so easily I will stay away from you post.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jeff I am not her to fight like little school girls ( sorry all you school girls ) and I am sure you don't either. I call a truce. I pmed you, lets continue this discussion privately

David
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Now, now, Jeff, no need to get all agitated... My vet asked me if I wanted to have Leo's teeth cleaned when she was sedated for the spaying. I said, but she's only 9m/s, only had her adult tooth for a couple of months. Then he looked at her tooth and said nice pearlies, but there are some dogs that needs cleaning even when they're so young... So, every situation is different. As per your suggestion, she has her Nutro Biscuits from time to time, but she chews on nylabone & the like everyday. I've got puppy dental kit a couple of months back but yet to use them.

David, good to hear Maxwell's back & well. Take it easy for a day or two as his gums might be sore as well as being under for a while. Good thing you had him checked out so early.

Big Hugs to you, David & Maxwell and to Jeff,
LEO, the Hotspot Girl & mum
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

David,

I hope Maxwell is feeling like himself very soon!
So how about that cracked incisor? Can they do anything about it?

As far as cleaning VS dental peridontis heart problems, well each case really has to be evaluated individually.
I don't believe there is a right or wrong here.
I had a pug whose teeth were a crooked mess! I had his teeth cleaned yearly until the time he died twice on the table during the procedure. Thankfully, they were able to revive him. But, after that incident I never had his teeth cleaned again. He lived to be only about 10 or 11 years old. (don't know exact age, he was a rescue) Eventually, he died of cancer, but he also had an enlarged heart.

Now, I clean teeth with a piece of gauze on my finger for the little ones. Colonel gets his teeth brushed using doggie toothpaste. Human toothpaste is very harmful to dogs if swallowed.
Everyone has to decide what is best for their particular furkid.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks everyone,
The vet said the tooth is solid but chewing hard things like bones will make it worse. I have to try to clean his teeth and hopefully his incisor will not decay and have to be removed.
David
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Glad to hear that Maxwell is home and drinking well. Looking forward to seeing a picture of his newly sparkling smile :D
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Dogdad wrote:Jeff I am not her to fight like little school girls ( sorry all you school girls ) and I am sure you don't either. I call a truce. I pmed you, lets continue this discussion privately

David
Actually my post was directed at zingara_princepessa I was agreeing with her about Anesthesia's, if you noticed she responded by agreeing with me. No where in my post did I even mention you or Maxwell nor suggest you do anything other then what you are doing. I barley even read your post. So your right there is no arguing or agitating involved my problem was you referring to my post when zingara_princepessa said the same thing. I don't know how little girls got into this but if you say so. No need for a truce or further discussion there wasn't a problem for me to begin with.

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

O K then.. well, anyway... I'm going to the pet store.. gonna get roxi a toothbrush and paste... We shall see how this goes.. :roll:

glad maxwell is home.. poor baby. [:D]
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Dogdad,
I'm so glad to hear Maxwell is home & well.
I completely freak when any of mine have to go under.
Sorry to hear about his incisor.

Teeth brushing is not easy... I did it w/ my first 2 chows once a month & marked it on the calendar. Used a mixture f peroxide & w/ a bitof baking soda - I always felt bad afterwards cause I couldn't figure out how to rinse their mouths out :oops: You know what... they needed cleanings by the time they were 5. Their teeth weren't what I considered bad & neither had trerribly bad breath. My 3 now, I bought the tooth brush & the paste & sad to admit I haven't used it. Maybe it's kinda like people??? Has anyone tried those treats for their breath called YipYaps? They are int he shape of a bone, real small too. Irish loves them & would eat a handfull if he could get them. Onyx & Gorman just look at me like I'm nuts.

Jeff: What is the name of the biscut you give you Peks?
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

kisses and hugs to Maxwell...we know that he was probably such a good boy and he has such a great Daddy!

Sharon and her Chow gang.

P.S. did you ever see the videos of Alan brushing our furkids teeth...it was about a month or so ago.
I make up a paste of baking soda and water since it isn't harmful to them

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Yay Maxwell, glad you're home safe and sound! [:D]
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea