vomiting?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

becca
Rank 0
Rank 0

vomiting?

Post by becca »

Hi, I just wanted to know if anybody knew what would make a chow vomit up the "yellow stuff" once in a while? my chow just started doing this, but has done this about 3 to 4 times within a week or so.. any info would be helpful , thanks!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Does he do this after he eats... even 20 minutes after he eats? If so, be careful, he may be prone to bloat. Google it and read up. You can also search this site for info and I posted something on it in this health section. Pay really close to attention to him. His digestive system may be trying to tell you something.

Good luck,
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

Kahn does this after he eats grass... a yellow/greenish puke. watch and see if he eating grass.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has vomited yellowish stuff a few times through out the years, Watch him closely and look around make sure he's not eating something around the house or back yard, trash, leaves, Chemicals any plastics or rubber laying around or maybe its the food you are feeding him.
Pekoe will eat plastic bottle caps, papers, toilet paper, rubber bands, we have to constantly make sure nothing is on the floor or yard. She just vomited up a chewed up plastic water bottle cap the other day so look around at every corner and hidden spots in the house and yard, you would be amazed at some of the stuff I have had to dig out of Pekoes mouth yet she refuses most treats I try to give her.

It might be grass but Pekoe is like the town lawn mower always eating wild grass but never vomits after eating it.The vet says eating grass is ok just make sure there is no chemicals on it.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hi Becca

I got your PM - everything is going well so far. We get the new girl this weekend!

I looked up some info on vomiting for you and found a line of interest...

"Some dogs occasionally vomit a frothy, yellow bile a few minutes after waking in the morning, but this does not affect appetite and is not an indication of disease."

You might just want to do a little more research and call your vet.

Good luck!

Mandy
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

Has he been chewing on raw hides at all? I gave some to my chow and she coughed/threw up for a few days (white/yellow frothy stuff). I guess dogs can't digest the raw hides very well so they throw it back up. I took them away and it cleared up within a day or two.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan has always done this on an empty stomach. 2 - 3 times a week. It does mean that he is more prone to bloat, so he eats multiple small meals several times a day and takes a Tums before bedtime. :roll: One of the joys of a chow.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
becca
Rank 0
Rank 0

vomiting

Post by becca »

thanks for your replys... she hasnt vomited in about 2 weeks, but sometimes she will do this like 3 or 4 times in one week, I dont think its from anything she got ahold of to make her vomit, she usually dont bother anything but her bone, could it maybee be nerves or something? my other dog is a german shepherd and is always wanting to play with her,by tugging at her and that.. {nina sometimes will get mad and let her have it!! :lol: }just wondered if maybee that could be the reason she vomits or not? thanks!