shots to eliminate mites

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mitchan14
Rank 0
Rank 0

shots to eliminate mites

Post by mitchan14 »

My Clowie has mites and I've heard there's a shot for it. Do you guys know anything about this and if it works better than powder/shampoo treatment? Tnx
OttoDog
Rank 0
Rank 0

mites/mange

Post by OttoDog »

Hello!
My vet gave me a cream for 'deema dact' -- mites responsible for mange. The cream is: Goodwinol. He said that there was a shot that is used on livestock- and could be used on canines, but that he didn't recommend it because it is really toxic. (He has worked with livestock for decades). Unless your Clowie has an excruciatingly horrible infestation, I would put up with diligent application of a topical ointment.

It's awful to watch them so uncomfortable, but my boy responded quickly to the Goodwinol and is doing much better. I keep it on hand-- my vet said it's nearly impossible to completely eradicate the nasty buggers (he says they look like crocodiles under the microscope.. :shock:), but when they begin to lose hair, treat, treat, treat, until their numbers subside... and they do.

He also said that the "shampoos" don't do the job... although they seemed to give Ralphie some relief. But since you are dealing with ear mites, shampoo isn't going to help you!

Good luck and keep us 'posted'!
Barbara :shock:
Chow For Now!
Chow Maynard!