Chow Chow elimination

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chow elimination

Post by loverman »

I have a newly adopted adult Chow from a shelter. She is wonderful, but has a habit that is wearing me out. I take her out for multiple walks and she seems to hold onto her urine and feces to leave in a choice setting. I take her out as soon as I rise, after her breakfast, after my lunch, before dinner, after dinner, before bed and she can go a day between putting out any urine. Today it was her 5th walk that offered a spot that smelled just right so that she left something behind. We are out at least 15 minutes each time and all she wants to do is explore. She sets the pace which is usually fast so it is not as if I am hurrying her. Her feces are not hard and they are plentiful because she goes 2 days between bowel movements. She never asks to go out, but is always ready if I go near a door. Is she retaining her waste to mark her territory or to prolong the walk? I keep taking her out because I am so worried that she will be uncomfortable. Is this a Chow thing?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yep its a Chow thing. Chows are extremly clean. My Chow Pekoe has her chosen spots through out town and in differant parks, Same place no matter where we go, she will only go in those spots, not only does it have to be in her chosen areas but even when you get to those areas it will be a while for her to circle back and forth 5 to 10 times to pick the spot in her chosen area.You have to have patence when it comes to a Chows bathroom habits.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

It is most definitely a chow thing. It drives me CRAZY!!! The rottweiler goes anywhere at any time. One command: "Nina, go potty" and she squats. :D Not the chow. :roll: He walks, he sniffs, he walks, he sniffs... then MAYBE, he'll go if he's happy. Over the years, I have figured out a few 'exceptional' spots on his walks, so if I'm in a hurry, I'll take him right to the spot. But even then, that only works 50% of the time. :?

One more thing: Rogan once 'held it' for 36 hours. We were away, he was kennelled; he didn't like his options... :roll:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Something else for you to think about, that I'm surprised that no one has yet to mention, many chows don't like wet ground (pavement, grass). Snow is fine. Hale is fine too. But wet ground and wet grass, even a wet wood deck... ha! Mine halt at the door when they notice the ground is wet! And their faces, and the looks they give you... as if it was your fault their ground was wet.

If they had their druthers, they would hold it till the sun made all the wet go away. When Zhu was younger, I use to lay out a path of towels for him to walk on as he went out. He's older now and less discriminating. In the evening, Pooh Bear will stay inside and hold it until she's ready to burst the next morning. She's my rescue. I met her at our local humane society last year.

Enjoy your chow. Stay in touch with us. There's lots of fun, adorable and unique characteristics to learn about the breed. We're all happy to share.
loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loverman »

Okaay...so it's not just my Chow! She has no problem with the rain or wet grass and walks through mud (ugh), but likes to lead me into areas that are pitch black and far from the house to pick up those interesting wild animal smells. It's a trade off, Chow elimination versus terror.