My Chow chow is pregnant by her son

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mina
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow chow is pregnant by her son

Post by mina »

:?: hi, i'm a new registered member to this web site. i have a full blooded black chow chow (Coco). i've had her since she was a puppy, she was not wanted by her breeder cause they said she was not worth anything $. Anyway, she's 5 yrs old (in human yrs.) She's had three litters by my other dog he was a chow/shepred mix, not related in anyway. Anyhow, she's pregnant again by her son (Chato). He just turned a year old this month.
My question is what do i need to know? I've heard & been told that it may not be a good thing for her to have these unborn puppies, cause it's inner breeding or somthing like that. i ran into some personal finacial problems & couldn't get her fixed. so, can you give me some info. or info. on what to do?

Thank You,
Mina
Last edited by mina on Wed May 07, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

OK, I'm going to be really blunt and not too nice about this...

If you don't have the money to have her spayed, how can you afford all the things the puppies need to thrive? What if there are complications? What if she needs emergency care or the pups get sick? Are you prepared to cull pups that may be deformed?

I suspect you don't know how to properly care for a pregnant bitch and her pups after they are whelped, nor do you understand that you are adding to a huge problem of unwanted pets. This is her FOURTH litter? That is just sad. :( Do you even know what's become of all the pups she's already been forced to whelp?

I can understand being short of cash, really I can. But to be so irresponsible that you allow your intact mixed breed male repeatedly impregnate your bitch, (and now her own pup too) is inexcusable.

Does it cost money to seperate them when she's in heat? I think not.

Now she is pregnant yet again. Do you even know when she is due?

Either find a vet that takes payments or start doing without all the little extras you buy yourself and start taking proper care of your dogs. This includes spaying and neutering.
If she's not too far along, you can get her spayed now. The pups can be euthanized in the uterus and not have to face a world that is full to the brim already with dogs no one wants and dogs that end up in homes that abuse and neglect them.

Sorry to be so blunt and unpleasant, but those are the facts Mina. Call your local animal shelters and ask what they think of you adding four more litters to the area. Do a search on Petfinder and count for yourself how many THOUSANDS of dogs, purebred and mixed breed alike, already don't have homes. I have witnessed the deaths of more homeless dogs and puppies than I can count while working for the Humane Society in my city. If you could bring yourself to watch just one healthy puppy put to death only because his time is up, he doesn't have a home, and 3 more are coming in to fill his cage, you'd begin to understand why I feel so strongly about cases like yours.

Please, start now to be a responsible dog owner.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

it sounds like you have your hands full! I understand it is hard to drop a chunk of money for spay /neutering. You obviously love dogs, but the reality is pretty much as the previous post imparted. The cost of liscencing unaltered animals is significant. Call those vets and explain your situation, ask about a payment plan. In the long run,it pays for itself in liscence savings. As for your inbreeding problem- the practice of breeding close relatives is called line breeding. Professional breeders do it to bring out positive aspects in a breed such as conformation. Done correctly, it eliminates defects within that line, such as hip displasia. Done randomly and accidently in an inferior line, you actually bring out defects within that genetic line,such as hip dysplasia. The puppies I suspect will end up with a few medical conditions they may have escaped had they been bred out of their line. If you do anything, get your bitch fixed asap. And don't try and make a big profit off your 'pure bred' puppies, cover your costs and find themgood homes.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

You sure do have your hands full. Hopefully the chowlings will be healthy and you will be able to find forever homes for them when the time comes. Regarding getting your chows fixed (I would recommend your girl chow first and then get the two boys fixed immediately after), do you have a humane society close to where you live? Often they have low cost spay and neuter clinics. I had Zhuyo fixed at our local humane society. The cost was much, much cheaper than if I had it done at his private vet. Miss Pooh Bear came fixed, but it was also done at the humane society prior to my adopting her last year. I think Zhu's cost less than a hundred at the humane society versus if he had it at his private vet's, I think the quote was close to $200.00 Crazy difference. I had to wait a while too because of my finances at the time, but it is worth it! Some rescue orgs have deals with local vets, you can also look into that. But please set a little pocket change aside for your girl's spay. It will add up in time. You should let her body rest from all those births.

Good luck,
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoes papers go back 5 generations, she has some inbreeding, i think its like her great grandfather is her dad or something like that, i know his name shows up twice in the breeding. maybe the name was used twice but all her relitives have these hard core chinese name except the one that shows up twice, Brutis Beefcake. I hardly even know what Pekoes real name is with out finding her papers, its Pekoe san something,something, something.