Inflamed/red gums/sedation

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Inflamed/red gums/sedation

Post by kingalls »

My Mr. Nahkohe has some tarter build up on his teeth and his gums appear reddish where it meets the teeth. I know that I need to get him evaluated for this and he probably needs dental work. A few questions:
1. We just started giving Shiloh & Mr. N tarter control biscuits - probably too late now but is there something I should not be giving? We give them alot of treats - maybe too many? Treats consist of: chicken jerky strips, beef jerky, those small round Milkbone training treats, and Baa-baas. Do you think any of may contribute to the gum problem?

2. I've never tried to brush their teeth. I doubt Mr. N would allow me to do that! Any alternatives to that? They don't like Greenies.

3. Mr. N was banned from his last vet unless he is sedated. I'm quite sure that whatever vet I take him to - Mr. N will not allow the vet to check out his gums! I'm a little concerned about giving Mr. N any kind of sedation just to get him in...anyone have experience with sedation pills?

I'm not sure if we have a local vet that will attempt to treat my Mr. N - so I might need to get a few Chow Chow members in the Bay Area that have vets they can recommend.

Thank you,
Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If your going to the bay area, you know I'm going to say Dr Jackels, Redwood veterinary.

I just took Pekoe to a Vet here, he won't go near her even with a muzzle on. He wants me to give Pekoe tranquilizers then bring her in and he will sedate her then put her on Isoforim (sp) And gee all that just to take a blood sample, yeah right, I'm just going to plan a trip up to the bay area and have Pekoe checked out by Dr jackals.

Even though Mr. N. and Pekoe keep getting banned and kicked out of vets offices I really don't think its our Chows its something they are picking up from the Vet.

Pekoe does growl and show her teeth with a muzzle on at Dr Jackels but at least he can touch her, take blood and give her a physical. He did sedate her once to remove an abscessed foxtails from her breast that we all thought was cancer. He also removed two foxtails from way down in her ear canal with out sedating her even though another vet in the office wanted to sedate her, I made the vet take Pekoe in the back to have Dr Jackels remove them, poor guy he was right in the middle of surgery on another dog but he did remove them with out sedating her.

I think I'm worse then Pekoe is when it comes to letting a vet touch her so as I said try Dr.Jackels if your going to the bay area.

As for the treats, the only treats I give Pekoe is a dental biscuit every mourning and when I take her to pet-co I give her an Oreo Cookie from the cookie bins about twice a month, Pekoe doesn't get to many treats.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Inflamed/red gums/sedation

Post by SWANCIN »

kingalls wrote:My Mr. Nahkohe has some tarter build up on his teeth and his gums appear reddish where it meets the teeth. I know that I need to get him evaluated for this and he probably needs dental work. A few questions:
1. We just started giving Shiloh & Mr. N tarter control biscuits - probably too late now but is there something I should not be giving? We give them alot of treats - maybe too many? Treats consist of: chicken jerky strips, beef jerky, those small round Milkbone training treats, and Baa-baas. Do you think any of may contribute to the gum problem?

2. I've never tried to brush their teeth. I doubt Mr. N would allow me to do that! Any alternatives to that? They don't like Greenies.

3. Mr. N was banned from his last vet unless he is sedated. I'm quite sure that whatever vet I take him to - Mr. N will not allow the vet to check out his gums! I'm a little concerned about giving Mr. N any kind of sedation just to get him in...anyone have experience with sedation pills?

I'm not sure if we have a local vet that will attempt to treat my Mr. N - so I might need to get a few Chow Chow members in the Bay Area that have vets they can recommend.

Thank you,
Karen
Hi Karen,
It does sound like he needs a dental exam minimally and probably a cleaning too. Not sure if my Vet (Cambrian area, SJ) would be OK with a dog/chow that needs muzzling, hasn't come up with our two (yet) so I won't recommend him unless you want to contact him to check anyway (let me know, ok?). For the preventative and after dental work, my vet will probably prescribe Hill's Prescription Diet T/D (for teeth). Kodi had some plaque and after all the dental issues we had with our last dog, our vet wants to help us prevent same with Kodi, so he suggested this. Kodi LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it! EVEN before she became food obsessed now that she's on prednisone for the pemphigus.
Keep us posted and contact me if you need my vets contact info.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We have a mobile vet that does the surgeries at the vet office that I normally take my pets to. He will come to the house and give Mr. N an injection, do the dental work, and then give him an injection to reverse the sedation. He said Mr. N will be up within 15 minutes after getting the injection to reverse it. He said it would be better than giving him acepromazine which is what the other vet's suggested, because the acepromazine is the initial sedative and they have to inject him with another tranquilizer to do the dental work. And then they have to wait for him to wake up.
I read up on the acepromazine - again it's one of those things that needs to be administered appropriately for a Chow versus the animal's weight.
This mobile vet did the spay and neuter for Shiloh and Mr. N...I have more trust in him but I'm pretty ignorant on the injections. I know they gave them the isoflorane (sp?) gas when they went in for surgery.
If anyone has any opinions on these injections -let me know.
I'll keep you posted....
Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I may be wrong and if I am then I have had this whole sedation thing wrong this whole time, I thought the injections was what we were all trying to avoid.
Victory had this whole sedation stuff all laid out in one of her past post on the old website but I have always thought from reading post on here and I may have misunderstood but I've been spending the last 7 years trying to keep Pekoe from being injected and only using the breathing type of sedation.
Pekoe has been sedated twice, they used the breathing stuff, she comes out it fast with no side effects. I don't know if maybe they did give her an injection first and then used isoflorine (sp) but he went through the whole sedation procedure and from what I recall he never mentioned injections.

The only reason i'm concerned about all this is I know from all your post if anything were to happen to Mr N you would be an absolute basket case like I would be if anything happened to Pekoe.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Jeff,
I don't have Pekoe's vet's number anymore. I checked for vets in Vallejo. I found Redwood Veterinary Hospital. Was G. Jagels, Pekoe's vet?
I know that when they were spayed/neutered, they were given the gas during the surgery but I think they also sedated them first. I'd like to get Pekoe's vets opinion - he was so helpful when I first took Shiloh in.
So far the two facilities said I need to give him the acepromazine pill which will get him groggy enough to bring in. My problem is that they don't promise they can do the dental work the day I bring him in to be checked...I don't want to have Mr. N sedated for the check up and then again for the actual dental work. I still have more homework to do.
And you're right - I would be a basket case if anything happened to Mr. N.
Thanks,
Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yeah that's him, I've been spelling his name wrong for 7 years, even the office staff has corrected me a million times with the spelling.

The number is (707) 553-1400 -Dr. Jagels - Redwood Veterinary, Vallejo, ca

Ok, i think i just figured this out, i was just talking to a friend and he says what happens is they give the injection by body weight like you said but a chows heart, liver, kidney one of those is smaller then the average dog so a Chow can't handle an injection based on body weight.

I think someone did post that way back if i recall, i know i've heard this before.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Anesthesia and the chow chow

Post by Jeff&Peks »

http://www.barkbytes.com/bremed/chow.htm

Intolerance to Anesthesia
One of the largest problems facing chow owners can be complications from surgery, including death during surgery due to the chow chow's low tolerance to anesthesia. There are certain anesthetics that are safer, as well as methods, such as intubating, that will lower the risk of death. One theory concerning chows and death by anesthesia claims that chows have relatively small hearts compared to their body weight, and since anesthesia is dosed according to weight, some chows have been given too much and the heart stops. Whatever the reason, there is a connection and greater risk with chows than many other breeds. Greater success has been seen in the past with the use of isoflurane gas and intubation.

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/posting.p ... eply&t=406
Anesthesia

Generally, Chows are _poor risks_ when anesthesia is involved, and
Chows should be treated by the veterinarian as he would treat a
Bulldog or any extremely short-muzzled dog.

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/posting.p ... eply&t=406

Anesthesia: Chows are not a good breed to put under anesthesia. Many chows do not come out from under anesthesia so you should be very careful and not put your chow under unless it is absolutely necessary. Please contact us prior to any surgery and we will let you know what we have found to be the best choice for anesthesia in chows.

Just type in Anesthesia and the chow chow, theres more info