Cancer

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Hi everyone, I'm back!
Well, Bear's health seems to be falling downhill. I almost got my mom to make an appointment, but, alas, she's sided with my dad.....which is letting him have a good rest of his life, which they think won't even make it to his 9th birthday! I'm so angry at my parents! I want them to take him in because I think they are wrong.
He's developed a new absess on his left elbow.....it's the size of my palm. I'm so lost....what can I do?!? :? :cry:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Stephanie

I normally don't come into this section, that's the last thing I want to read is Chows getting sick but now that I'm here.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions regardless of what your parents say until you have gone to the vet and cancer is confirmed, like Lou says it may just be cysts, My Chow Pekoe had a lump once on her breast right away we all thought cancer, I even went to the vet with a $1000 in my pocket expecting her to get her first kimo (SP) therapy, It turned out it was just an abscessed foxtail that had worked its way into her skin.

Some of the things you are saying, Eating grass, (I could rent my Chow out as a lawn mower) shedding, hates water, won't let anyone groom her. you could be talking about my Chow and she's healthy, so don't start making
things up in your mind that your Chow is sick, this is what a Chow is like.

I read an article once that most lumps and bumps on dogs turn out to be cysts and that people panic to fast and think the worst, according to the article cats get cancer more then dogs.

If it does turn out to be cancer I know of 2 dogs, a Husky and another, forgot the breed but after being diagnosed with cancer the 2 dogs went on to live out their full lives anyway, years after they were diagnosed.

So don't jump to conclusion and write your chow off, regardless of the outcome it will still have some time, it won't just die the next day. Get your Chow to the vet before you get sick from worrying to much.

Added: My Daughter is a nurse not a vet but she says from what you are describing it doesn't sound like cancer to her but again the only way to tell foresure is get to the vet.
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Thanks for the reply. Trust me, I want to take Bear to the vet. My problem is my parents. They won't take him in. It's so stupid.....
I'd take him myself, but I'm only 14. Our vet is too far away to walk, and there isn't any vets that make house calls. I'm trying to come up with something, but it's not looking too good. Stephanie and Bear
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Stephanie,

I second what Jeff has said.

Firstly, stop worrying - do you hear me, stop worrying or else you are going to get ill. :)

Secondly, have you a grandparent, aunt, uncle or whoever who you can appeal to and ask that person to speak to you parents about how YOU feel.

It is hard being 14 yrs. old - I am 62 yrs. but I can remember being 14! They (they being grownups) don't always listen. :roll:

Thirdly, had you considered asking your parents if you may telephone the Vet and talk to him/her? :?:

Good luck and keep us posted.

But, most of all, listen to what the others are telling you - you really might be fretting without reason. You are never going to know until you take Bear to the Vet.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Stephanie!

Welcome back. Hope camp was fun. Sorry you've had a set back with your mom's decision. Just wondering, you think your parents might change their mind if you agreed to help pay for the vet exam. Maybe you can save a little of your allowance or maybe have a summer garage/yard sale to pay for the exam? Be creative. Also, Judy's suggestion on asking an aunt or uncle or cousin to help is very smart. My niece (who is much, much older than you) asked for my help when her family chow needed special vet care and her parents were "poo-poo'ing" the idea.

Another thing, do you think you can stop your younger sister/brother (s) from feeding Bear their unfinished food? Chows have very sensitive skin and most of their skin problems start with poor food. Also some people can be poisonous, like onions. Also, the fat scraps you've been giving Bear might not be good afterall. Try to stop it for a month and see if Bear stops licking and itching the sore spots. My chows can't have gristle because it gets them licking their skin and sores open up.

So keep us posted. Have a safe 4th of July.
btriley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stomach Cancer

Post by btriley »

We lost our boy on Thursday to stomach cancer, and we have been truly heart broken. Buddy Bear was a rescue that was found in the hills of Idaho and was kind enough to move to Ann Arbor Michigan from Pullman Washington with us. He was our ROCK, whenever our life became rocky, we could always count on Buddy to lead us down the right path with a quick glare of approval or otherwise.
After we sent Buddy to heaven we discussed it with some of our Chow friends only to discover that they have lost all of their Chow Chows to stomach cancer N=6 and all at 8 years old. We think Buddy was closer to 10. As a scientist this is truly concerning to me, I have also discoverd that Chow Chows and Akitas have a 20X greater risk for stomach cancer.

My question. Does anyone have any advise or preventitve treatment for our furry children.

Also, Buddy was 95lbs (when we got him, and a svelt 83 after some dieting, so does anyone know where I can find some larger Chow Chows.
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

btriley- That is sad about your Chow. I've always hated losing a dog.

Everyone else-
I'll try talking to my mom tonight, again. I tried over the weekend, and all my parents did was talk about the memories with Bear...and past pets.
Lou- what else can we give Bear his pills with? He's picky in the first place, but it would be nice to try other things.

I'll keep you posted....I'll try my hardest to win.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good Girl, Stephanie - and good luck. :)
Try giving him his pills wrapped in a bit of cheese. Chows usually love cheese. When Milly or Mabel need pills, I cut a little piece of cheese off the block, work it softer with my finger and thumb and then press it round the pill. They watch me intently and swallow it immediately I give it to them.
Well almost always!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Stephanie! Yes, cheese is good. Stick the pill in a small cube of cheddar cheese. Avoid the processed ones like American or Velvetta. Ham is okay too, but not too much because I read somewhere the sodium in ham might make them thirsty and drink too much water, which might lead to something serious called "bloat". I forget, what are the pills for? Are they just vitamin supplements?
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

what are the pills for? Are they just vitamin supplements?
Lou-
They are for his seborrhea.....not exactly sure what they are supposed to do....I think it's to help stop the seborrhea from getting worse, but I'm not sure. It brought some of his hair back after we uped the dosage, but we lowered it after the hair started to disappear again. Strange thing is.....when his hair disappears, you don't find it anywhere. It's just.....gone. Later- Bear and Steph
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Stephanie!

Take a look at this link: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/thyroid.html#Diag

It's about canine thyroid disease. Has Bear ever been tested for thryoid problems? I remember at the original chowchow.org site, someone had a similiar fur loss/skin problem as Bear and when they got their chow tested, it was thyroid disease. Perhaps this might be Bear's problem. So if I can recommend to you to read up and when/if you convince your parents to take your Bear to the vet, you can ask the doctor if you think he/she could do the blood exam for Bear thyroid levels. Meanwhile, I will try to remember to print up all you posts on Bear. Next time I go to PB & Z's vet, I will ask him what he thinks. It won't be a diagnosis and not a substitute to bringing Bear to the vet, but at least you can have another opinion and will be better prepared to ask questions to Bear's real vet. When that happens, I will private message you through this site.
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Lou-
Thanks for the thyroid suggestion. It helped me remember that one of the pills Bear is on is for his thyroid. The other I still can't remember.....all I know is they are for his skin disease.
I thank you for taking the info to your vet......it can help me with my parents. I'm really close to having my mom take him in.....I'm hoping next week he'll be in. Later.....Stephanie and Bear (and Homer too)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Stephanie -

I know I told you that I would private message you when I got some info from PBnZ's vet. Because his diagnosis is a topic not yet discussed on this site, I'm going to open a new topic in a while. The info might be helpful to others whose chows might have symptoms like Bear's. So, look out for it. It will give you a new perspective to Bear's problems and take it out of this "cancer" topic, as well as stop frightening you that it could be cancer. I hope you don't mind, but I will be cross-posting some of your posts on the new topic.

8)
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Hi everyone-
Sorry about not replying....I've been busy lately between getting my 4-H projects done and everything else. Bear seems to be getting a little better...his pockets are reducing, not sure if that is good or not. We bought a brush for him and Homer.....one side is like our hairbrushes for Homer, the other is softer without the hard ends for Bear. He seems to like it. We still haven't taken him to the vet, but it's hard to when my mom has to balance everything and my dad won't take him. It's also been hard since my health isn't its greatest. I have boils and I'm only 14.....my doctor put me back on the medication I was on, which only made things worse. Next Tuesday they are going to do blood work. They are going to check my glucose and my cholesteral (or however you spell it.) I'll keep you posted on Bear.....btw, this may sound weird, but is it common for fixed male dogs to be gay with other fixed male dogs? Just curious......Stephanie, Bear, and Homer
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Stephanie,
Don't worry about dogs being gay with other boy dogs - fixed they might be but the little noodles in their heads still urge them to have a little try now and again! :)
They start off with their little baby brothers when they can barely walk and it goes on. You can sort of discipline them with a "Oi! pack it in!" And because they are fixed, it is only a try on, they will usually ' pack it in '.
Keep well and purple kisses from Milly and Mabel. :)