Ear Infections after being groomed

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ear Infections after being groomed

Post by Mika's Mom »

Our Mika has had some issues in her last 10 mos. We took her get groomed and a week later she developed a huge ear infection. The vet said it was caused by water getting in her ear, and we related it back to the groomer. Again a few months later, it happened again after I specificaly told the groomer not to get any water near her ear even if it meant she didn't wash her head.

The vet is trying to cure it with ointment lickily it is working....

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions that could help Mika not get these awful ear infections??? We clean her ears regularly too...

Thanks!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. My boys have had ear infections caused by water in their ears by the groomers. Once I identified that was the cause, I insisted that they put cotton on all my chows ears when they are to be groomed because they are prone to ear infections. The groomers all have complied and I have not had a chow with an ear infection since. Also, I ask them to use a dry ear cleaning solution versus any wet. I don't allow them to put drops of liquid whatever in their ear to clean deep - no, no, no. Just dry.

So, see if you can request cotton in the ears and dry/powder ear cleaning solution.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I agree with Lou. The only thing I might add is...
if the cotton doesn't work for you, then try Silly Putty in the ears. Yes, I'm talking about the stuff in the little red egg, found in the toy department of Walmart or Target. It will actually seal the ear canal and pulls right out when finished. (I used this with my small children who were prone to ear infections) In extreme cases...if your dog has excess hair growing inside the ear canal...I would have it pulled out by the vet. This is not an uncommon problem or solution for floppy eared, long haired dogs, such as Shih Tzu's who are notorious for ear infections.

*Same as with children, ear infections tend to plague the young more than the old, due to immature inner ear developement. In many cases, the problem may go away with maturity.