tumors

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

tumors

Post by simbasmom »

Hi, I have a black chow named Simba, he is about 6 years old. My son Andrew and I rescued him 4 years ago after his owner died and her husband didn't have time for him. He had been letf alone in a house for 2 months with someone coming in for only 15 minutes a day to give him a drink of water and some food. It was love at first sight. :D .

Everything was great until a couple of days ago I noticed that Simba was limping and I thought that he had hurt his foot. Yesterday I noticed that he had this huge bleeding lump on his hunches. I have never seen anything like it before and I know that it wasn't there 3 weeks ago when I gave him a bath.

I took him to the vet today and was told that it was a tumor and that he had 2 more of them in his leg. Simba was a very good brave doggie and endured being examined, shaved, exrayed (2 times, the first ones didn't turn out) and they took 6 samples from the lumps. :x I am hoping with all my heart that the tumors are not maligant.

I am so heart broken that my beloved friend is in so much pain. The vet gave him metacam for pain which he gets one dose every 24 hours, but here it is 2:00am and he still has 10 more hours to go until his next dose and he is crying with pain. It is really breaking my heart. I feel so helpless if anyone has any suggestions on how I can make him more comfortable I am sure that Simba would be very grateful.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My Chow Pekoe has a small lump on her tongue so I've been doing alot of lump reading on the net, take a look at some of these sites I have found.

http://www.healthypet.com/library.aspx
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdise ... cancer.htm
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cancer1.html
http://www.barkbytes.com/bremed/chow.htm
http://www.forestwaychows.com/chowinfo.html
http://www.vetinfo.com/

I don't know if these will help but give them a look there's alot more you can look up.

Over the past 9 years Pekoe has had a few lumps and the first thing I do is panic and think cancer, luckily it turns out to be something else so hopefully Simba will be ok, A friend of mine has a Husky with lump on its rear legs, it turned out to be fatty deposits.
If it turns out to be cancer as you will read on the sites I posted it doesn't mean the end most cancers now adays are treatable.
A vet I took Pekoe to the other day said a dog came in with lumps, it turned out to be cancer, he told the people the dog only had a few months, 4 years later the dog is still alive and doing well so don't panic it will be ok. keep us all up to date on Simba. you will get alot of help on this site. Good Luck.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Thank you, I needed to hear a few words of encouragement. I am trying not to worry too much until we hear the results from the vet. Simba is feeling a bit better today ( I guess his pain medication kicked in) at least for a little while. :D
I checked out some of the sites that you sent me and tried massaging him, it did calm him down alot until the pain killers kicked in.

Will keep you posted on how Simba is doing
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Hell! I am so sorry! :(

Just hang in there and just love him, rub him and give him his medication. It is terrible listening to a dog cry in pain. I don't have any advice - just know that I am thinking of you as will all on the site I am sure. They are a wonderful crowd. :)

Can't say anymore - just give him a hug from me and some purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Hi all, I am very sorry to have to say it but Simba is much worst than he was. We got all the test results back from the vet, but they were inconclusive but the vet told me that the tumors are most likely cancer and that there isn't very much they can do for him except for try to control the pain.

It is so hard for us to see him go down hill so quickly. It is breaking my heart, a month ago he seemed so healthy and happy and now he can barely walk and I cannot get him to eat anything. :cry:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Hell! :(
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

8( i will say a prayer for Simba and your family....
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Be strong for your Simba. We will all say a prayer for Simba and your family.

Purple Kisses to Simba,
Karen, Jeff, Mr. Nahkohe, and Shiloh
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Thanks everyone for your support. :cry: I am trying to stay strong for Simba and for my son who is so mad at me because I cannot make his best friend well again.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Hi All, I am crying as I write this. My best buddy Simba has gone to doggie heaven today. My son Andrew and I are devestated at loosing our best friend, but we know that he is no longer suffering. Thank you everyone for your support during this very difficult time. :cry:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Dear, Simba's Mommy - I am so, so sorry. :(

However, your boy is out of pain now and The Happy Hunting Ground is truly a beautiful place. Just believe it. :)

He was obviously well loved and he will be able to play where there is no pain and the sun shines and it is always springtime. :)

Remember the good times before he was taken ill and thank God for the joy you have had. :)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I'm so sorry for you and your son but remember that you gave Simba a great 4 years of love and friendship. Simba has crossed the Bridge but he is without pain and running with all the others that have crossed.
Take care,
Karen
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I am so sorry for your loss of Simba. Your act of letting him go was one of pure unselfishness, and very brave. He is waiting for you at the Bridge, pain free. Thank you for making those 4 years special for him.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and truly believe that Simba will be greeted on the other side, by all our dear chows now past, I know that Sezer and Tanya will be right by his side to help him on his way, and just think how well he will be now, After nearly loosing my Luke and getting him back from deaths door, and little Charlie who past in August, I know you are hurting but the hurt will ease up as time goes bye, Bless you and your son and just remember that Simba will be there when your time comes to welcome you home.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Simba

Post by Debbie »

I am so sorry for your loss and for your son - grieving is such hard work. How old is your son? Have you read him the Rainbow Bridge Story - if not, let me know and I will post it if you want. I saw the pictures of your Simba and just thought in my head, what a beautiful chow with all that red in his black coat... with sympathy, Debbie
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

Thank you everyone for your kind words. My son Andrew (age 12) and I miss Simba very much. I cope by assuring myself that he is no longer in pain, but my son is having a hard time with the loss and he is so angry with me all the time. The hardest thing of all is coming home and not having Simba greeting us at the door with his tail waggling.

We haven't seen the Rainbow Bridge Story that would be great if you posted it. :)

Even though noone will ever take Simba's place in our hearts we are looking into getting a little chowling to love and soften the hurt we are feeling in our hearts. :D

Thank you all for your support,
Carol
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Oh, I'm so sorry about Simba.

Here is the Rainbow Bridge story for you...I hope it brings you some comfort.

{{{hugs}}}

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies - one that has been especially close to someone here - that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water, sunshine and cozy beds, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass - his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain on your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet - so long gone but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author Unknown
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Dear!
Please tell your son that there is an old Hebrew proverb and it goes like this:-

" Say not in grief he is no more,
But in thankfulness he was." :)

Ask him to think about it - it is so true.

Please also tell him that when I was 12, my parents took one of our Corgis to the vet, she was very poorly and I did not understand - I do now! :)

I understand how he feels and I was so sad and angry and I feel sad for you both now. :(

Tell him Millly and Mabel send purple kisses. :) :)

I think you are very wise to look for a new chowling. We always do that when one of our precious companions have gone off to The Happy Hunting Ground. It does help - never replaces but helps and each one becomes special and all the others stay in a little spot in your hearts.

Do let us know when you do bring a new chowling home. :)
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Give Andrew some big hugs from someone who knows... and there is NOTHING wrong with being angry. It is a natural stage of mourning especially when we lose them to cancer.

When we lost our 15+ year old girl, we were of course very sad but we had prepared ourselves due to her advanced age so we were at least a little "ready" if you will, for her passing.

Our younger girl was a completely different story. Her diagnosis came as a horrible shock, her quick decline and euthanasia just two days later was devastating. My DH is a kind gentle man and he was SO ANGRY! He said he felt so cheated, and he felt our girl had been cheated too.
The anger fades after one begins to accept the fact that your much loved pet has really gone to a better painfree place and you begin to feel like just maybe...you can go on without them.

Make sure Andrew knows that it is completely normal to feel this way. Sometimes he might be angry, other times he will cry, and it's OK to even laugh about a funny memory you have of Simba.

Maybe telling him that even adult, 6'4", 220 pound guys cry over their Chow Chows too might help.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

I shed tears for you and your family and for your beautiful simba. I am so sorry for your loss and hope that your family can see that simba will be waiting for you on the other side.

All our love,

Mandy & Chewie