Lump on Pekoes tongue?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Lump on Pekoes tongue?

Post by Jeff&Peks »

We just noticed that Pekoe has a small bump/lump way at the back or her tongue, its right at the center of her tongue way in the back. Could some brave person stick their finger in their Chows mouth and see if its a Chow thing and is normal, its time for her vet visit so we will have the vet check it out,Its hard to tell if the bump is supposed to be there or not, it doesn't seem to bother her.
If It weren't for Pekos constant trash eating on walks and me having to dig in her mouth to get the trash out I would have never noticed the bump/lump. Thanks.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Jeff,

I have felt M & M's tongues and they haven't got lumps on them. Sorry! However, that does not mean to say that others haven't - after all, some of them have hooks on the end of their tails and some do not.

I hope all is well and keep us posted. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff,

I checked PB & Z's tongues and as far as I could see, they do not have lumps on the back of their tongue. Like Judy said, it might be some unique chow trait like the hook or no-hook tail thing. Or something like what us humans can get if we eat something off and a taste bud temporarily swells.

Keep us posted.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

I'm a big worry wart but I would have it checked out...
What does it look like? Is it larger than a pencil eraser? Color? Texture?
I don't want to alarm you, but dogs can and do sometimes get oral cancers. Most can be removed if caught early.
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Roger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roger »

Hi Jeff.... I'm just skimming thru the posts as I was away for awhile, so forgive me if you posted the answer to this separately, but did your vet find out what the lump was? I just wanted to make sure Pekoe was all right. Thanks, Roger.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nope not sure what it is yet, the new vet I took her to won't touch her unless he knocks her out and does a blood test, then wants to do a bunch of stuff to her tongue, he wouldn't go near her to look at her tongue with out sedating her so he doesn't know if it is anything at all but he was leaving town for a few weeks so I haven't been back to him. I called Pekoes vet up north and told him what the vet wants to do and explained the bump to him he doesn't seem to think its anything serious or maybe nothing at all and didn't seem to agree with all the other vet wants to do so I'm just keeping an eye on her tongue, going to try a few more vets around LA but most likely will be taking Pekoe up north to the vet she has always had.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

I've been wondering about this too. I would guess that if it were something serious, it would have grown noticeably since you first posted.
Has the bump changed at all? Color, texture, size?

If it just sits there, and doesn't cause any discomfort, it sure sounds like checking it out is more of a health risk than just leaving it alone.

In the meantime, why not practice mouth showing? Just like a showdog, that has judges of all kinds peering in it's mouth, we can train our pet Chow Chows to do the same. I say "mouth" and open my dog's mouth wide, for just a second or two. If they fight, we try again for a willing relaxed dog. As soon as the dog stops resisting my hands on their mouth, they get an instant yummy.
One boy that I co-own is so good at showing his mouth that all you have to do is touch his upper lip and say "mouth". He opens WIDE and waits for his treat. :lol:
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...