7yr old chow with rear hip popping!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

thfonz98

7yr old chow with rear hip popping!

Post by thfonz98 »

My nicely mannered chow(my baby) has in the last two weeks gone from a limp to a lesser limp now....at first i thought it may have been stickers and things in her rear left paw(as she was walking on it but picking it up and limping somewhat). so i cleaned out her paws.

Now i can hear popping(where i couldnt before) when she runs across the yard and when i move her side to side(to diagnose the sound), plus i can feel the popping holding to her when i move her....off to the vet for xrays she will go.

She had no health problems at all till this. Any suggestions on if this is what you call "Hip dysplasia". Just wondering.

my baby: http://www.bowlingballexchange.com//upl ... s/yogi.jpg
thfonz98

Post by thfonz98 »

just to add....

when standing: all four feet are touching the ground(injured foot only has the front part of her foot down) and she does walk/run on it.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

How is your baby? What did the vet say?

Post by Guest »

tearing acl....xray showed she probably tore it a while ago and it got worse when she really started limping a month or so ago.

hips are great.

vet said to keep her from jumping and runnning...impossible!!!! my chow acts like apuppy everytime i go outside to see her or let her in the house for the day!

shes on cosequinn ds(misspelled probably) and is moving around a lot better...is touchyy about putting all her weight on the leg but (as usual) doesnt act different or show/speak of any pain.

ps she has arthritis in teh knee pretty bad though.
thfonz98

Post by thfonz98 »

we might have surgery done on her in a year.

this weekend she was at grandma's house playing with her dalmation, both have knee problems but on the opposite rear leg.
thfonz98

Post by thfonz98 »

the acl being damaged caused the popping as the joint would move around...as i was told.

well keep her inside this winter i believe(salinas,ca is in the 50-70sin the winter)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

For her arthritis, I'd like to recommend a glucosimine/chondrotin supplement called "Sea Jerky" . You can ask you local pet store to order it for you or you can google it online and order directly from the manufacturer. It's amazing stuff. Zhuyo, who will be 14 in Nov., had a wiggy paw and then he went lame for a couple days after his spa session. I put him on Rimadyl for a few days for relief and then put him on standard g/c supplement pills, per his vet... to prevent my boy from kidney probs in the future. The standard g/c pills didn't work well. But I remembered Roxanna had Dakota on the Sea Jerky and so I had it specially ordered for at a small pet store in Pacifica. Again, amazing stuff. Zhu became more playful. No more wiggy paw. Runs around with Pooh Bear. Not as graceful, but still adorable. Even surpised me by going up to the second floor of our home! So give it a try.

Thanks for the update.