A bite problem.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rachelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

A bite problem.

Post by rachelle »

I HAVE A CHOW THAT IS 2 YEARS OLD. HE IS A GREAT DOG I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH HIM , UNTIL THE OTHER DAY. I HAD A FRIEND COME TO VISIT WITH HER 3 CHILDREN MY DOG WAS LAYING BY THE DOOR WAY WHEN HER CHILD PASSED BY ,I CAN SAY FOR SURE IF THE CHILD ACCIDENTLY HIT THE DOG OR WHAT REALLY HAPPENED BUT THE DOG JUMPED UP AND BITE THE CHILD IN THE FACE . THE CHILD NEED 7 STICHES. I HAVE HAD MANY PEOPLE AT MY HOUSE BEFORE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I HAVE 4 CHILDREN MYSELF AND THE DOG IS GREAT WITH THEM. SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHY THIS HAPPENED?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh! Hell! You poor love! :(

I havn't a clue why this happened. Only that maybe the child hit the chow or perhaps trod on him or whatever.

The thing is your children presumably treat the chow with respect. Children who don't have dogs do not always treat the dogs with the respect they deserve. Where do you live and what are the laws in your place?

Just make sure that in the future, you keep chow and strange children apart. It is a good rule of thumb to remember that children and dogs can never be trusted unsupervised.

Please keep us informed - I personally cannot do anything to help except give moral support, which I do, by the cartload. :)

Purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.xxxxxxxxxx :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

ouch... sorry to hear that.... my older Chow is 14 years old.. when he was young he didnt mind children but as he grows old he tends to stay away from them.. i have 3 sisters.. and several lil ones running around(when they visit)... he hasnt bitten anyone yet(hopefully never) but does growl , under his breath tho, the kind where they never show teeth but let you know they dont like it. Kinda like mumbling. And on several occasions, gone to bed room and close door... lol..

in our state, after the fisrt reported bite, you will get a call and told you have to call back after 10 day quarentene(spelling?) for rabie check. If not they will come and take dog themselves... after 2nd bite dog is put down unless you have a good laywer...
so, you may want to put your chow away when lil ones come around... if its same laws as mine you already have 1 mark against you... the hospitals here report it, not police. again.. i am sorry to hear this. i couldnt imagine having to put my baby down because someone didnt understand him.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

How frightening for you and the child! My only advise to you is this:

Chows look like cuddly teddybears. Children gravitate to them, unfortunately, because they look like stuffed animals. Unfortunately, children who do not live with Chows do not understand that they are living, breathing animals. Then the Chow gets placed in situations that make it uncomfortable.

Most Chows will try and remove themselves from the situation before they bite. Most will also give a warning bark or snap prior to the real bite. Either your Chow did not give these signals (rarity) or those signals were missed by the child.

My suggestion to you, as a parent of both an 8 year old Chow and a 5 year old boy, is this: when other children are in the house, lock up your dog. We always put our dogs (we also have a rottweiler) in our bedroom, with the door locked, when we have children visiting. That way, our dogs are not put in situations where they are uncomfortable, and might feel the need to protect themselves.

Good luck.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart