Rescued Chow/need medical advice

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rescued Chow/need medical advice

Post by arnis »

Hello. I recently rescued a 1 year female chow. (the old owner is paying fines but not enough in my mind) after cuting the "dreadlocks" off and bathing her i noticed couple health problems, broken tail, broken tooth, and of course the eye problem, ( hair inside eyelid, not sure medical term) while i was cleaning eye i noticed it is cloudy and had a puncture mark on it.. no pupil or color, just milky. and she is not fix'd.( she is in heat) so, my question is, with a limited budget i need to pick order which to "fix" first....
I need too:
1) get spade
2) get eye lid operation
3) get all shots up to date
4) get eye looked at and see if anything can be done.
i called local humane society and got reduced spaying operation so i may take her for that and ask vet if he could look into eye and give advice.. hopefully.
If anyone can give advice or help please let me know.. wish i could get it all taken care of at once but .......Thanks for any replies....
Rescued Chow

Post by Rescued Chow »

Arnis,
It's great to hear of another Chow being rescued. I think your vet will give you the best advise on what to do next, first, etc. My caution for you is to make sure your vet understands that Chows require some extra attention with the anesthesia (sp?). I think most vets will use the dogs weight to determine how much but Chows are different and usually require alot less because I think their heart/body weight ratio is not typical. Flourane (sp?) gas is the preferred method during the surgery.
Congratulations on becoming a Chow owner!

Karen
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Arnis,

Bless you - she is a lucky girl chow and I am sure she will reward you with that lovely chow devotion. :)

What colour is she and what have you called her?

Purple kisses to her from Milly and Mabel. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

thanks for replies...
I own 2 Chow's. one raised from 8 week old.. rough male cream color. His name is Ghengis Kahn, Kahn for short.. 14 years old
the rescued one... rough female red color. her name is Silvia Jane. Sil for short... 1 year old :D
everyday she is getting better and better, feeling out , hair growing back in and actually starting to come to me without me calling her... Kahn is a lil jelous but they are starting to share water bowl so i think everything will work out.. thanks again for the suggestions.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well your boy Khan is bound to be a little bit jealous - he has had you for 14 yrs. and now has to share you. But it looks good. :D
Keep us posted how she goes on and I hope the vet gives you some help with her eyes etc. when she goes to be spayed.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)