Ehrlichiosis

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ehrlichiosis

Post by Shane »

When I carried Shadow to the vet for his annual check-up he was diagnos with that disease. I am not sure how serious it is but she had to sposponed his boosters. He also had a fever but showed no sihns of ailments at all, he was so active playing with Krillan and hunting rats in a vacant lot.

I have both of them on flea and tick prevention and the vet said it can be transmitted by one flea or tick, they don't have to be "loaded" she says. He was given penisilin shot and anti-biotics for forteen days. I have to carry him back next week so he can get his boosters.

Then I will let her deal with his hernia. That he was born with and never let something done about it cause I was scared. She said it would not be a problem up in now, If you feel it you would feel his intestine. She said if not dealt with his intestine would fall ino it and get stuck. I gettin these stuff dealt with asap and not trying to let money be a obstacle.

When she said he had Ehrlichiosis I felt like fifty cents that I could do something to prevent it. To all, always carry your dogs to their annuals so you'll know what is what . I did not even know he was sick that why it was always great to be on the safe side. If I hadn't carried him I would have relized that when it was to late thatnk God I did listen to some people. They is say that it is a rip off.

So please all have your dogs go to their annual so that small stuff can be revealed before they are major or fatal things.

Ehrlichiosis

Post by Guest »

Shane this is a tick borne diesese, not fatal if attended to imeditaly, Here in South Africa where I live ticks an fleas are a big problem and here where I live on the farm Ticks are a bigger problem so if I notice that my chows are off their food, I take their temperature if it is above 39 I treat them for tick feaver, I usually give them 1ml of Berynil injection this stops the tick fever in it's tracks so to say and usually the animal is much better by the morning, but if not then I will get them to the vet for further treatment, I have save the lives of all my chows and other dogs, with this treatment, and as we live a long way from our nearest vet, I believe that emergency treatment can be done at home. so I do hope you chow is getting better, and yes I do agree that all chows should go to the vet for their annual checkup.
By the way have you looked at my chow photo album, its of all the chows I have ever owned. hope you enjoy it.
Carolyn
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Thank you Shane yes Sinjon had very unusual colouring when he was a young dog, but as he got older he was all black and he won his championship certificate with his black head and cinimon and black body, Rambo was also a champion and yes he had an aura about him he was a rescue chow when I got him and I showed him to champion status in 5 shows, he was just as wonderful as Sinjon was.
Thank you for looking at my photos,
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Update on Shadow

Post by Shane »

It turns out that the on a scale of 10 Shadow is a 9 and he was put on pills for 2 weeks and every week he has to go back for 5 times. The treatement is $10 each time $50 in total. I was adviced by the vet to bring Krillan in because he maybe infeced aswell cause hey are in the same enviroment. After this is over every month I am going call the exterminator so that this may not happen again.