FHO and hip dyplasia

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow.Bella
Rank 0
Rank 0

FHO and hip dyplasia

Post by Chow.Bella »

Hello, this is my first time writing here.
I have a 1 year beautiful female Chow named Bella.

Unfortunately she is suffering from hip problems and has already gone through one surgery 2.5 months ago. She had her hip dislocated after playing with another dog and in the operation the doctor relocated her hip using a wire (sorry I don’t know the accurate terms).

2 nights ago she started limping very bad again. We went to see the vet and the xray showed that the hip was dislocated again. I’m so devastated. She is in great pain and it’s just heartbreaking to see that.

My question is - has someone here had a similar experience? Is FHO a good operation for chows even though their weight is around 50 lbs?
Hip replacement is just so expensive. It costs 10,000$ here (Singapore) and I’m not sure we can afford it.

Would really appreciate any advice and if someone had a good experience with FHO on adult chows

Thanks!!!
Hamish3010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: FHO and hip dyplasia

Post by Hamish3010 »

Hi Chow.Bella

I think you would have gone ahead with surgery already, but I will post anyway so hopefully we can help someone else.

Sorry to hear about your pup’s hip! Hamish dislocated his hip a couple of years ago when he was running around at the park. The vet gave us two options; FHO or a hip replacement. The vet didn’t recommend a hip replacement for a number of reasons, which I can’t quite remember anymore, apart from the fact it was going to cost about $10k (we’re in Australia).

We went ahead with the FHO and we haven’t had any issues since. Hamish recovered really well and he’s back to his normal self. His leg is slightly shorter now I think but you wouldn’t pick it up if it wasn’t mentioned.

You can check his photos on Instagram - just scroll back to August 2016.

What did you choose in the end for Bella? And how is she recovering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk