How much exercise does 4 months puppy should have?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

meyori
Rank 0
Rank 0

How much exercise does 4 months puppy should have?

Post by meyori »

Hi, My puppy is getting nearly 4 months old and I'm wondering if he is getting a proper amount of exercise. This is the 1st time to own a dog and any advice is appreciated.

I think my puppy is quite active. I take him out for a walk twice a day, morning and late afternoon. Especially in the morning (maybe because cooler), he likes to walk a lot. I searched on the internet and found a few people are saying no more than10 minutes for chow puppy. A too long walk can harm more than do good. Is that true? How many meters can a puppy walk in 10 minutes? During my puppy's walk, he sniffs, plays and stops. So it's a bit difficult to measure 10 minutes.

Additionally, he spends time at big size yard where I have seven rabbits. He plays & chases rabbits = more exercise.

Any advice/comments? Thank you.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How much exercise does 4 months puppy should have?

Post by Cindy J »

Puppies playing in the yard will rest when they get tired, so there is little worry about them playing too hard. I do watch for things that they can climb on and jump off of as the impact is very hard on their joints. (and puppies will jump) I use a five minute rule of thumb for puppies. Five minutes per month. A four month old puppy would get 20 minutes of exercise. Two 10 minute walks is fine. If your puppy is stopping often to sniff and explore, then I would not worry too much. The concern is more along the lines of what I call a "forced march" with no breaks.

If he sits down during the walk, he is telling you that he needs a break. I love that he is growing up with the rabbits and learning they are his buddies. Watch as he gets older that he is not rough with them.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Sming1936
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: How much exercise does 4 months puppy should have?

Post by Sming1936 »

A good rule of thumb is a ratio of five minutes exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until the puppy is fully grown, i.e. 15 minutes (up to twice a day) when three months old, 20 minutes when four months old etc. Once they are fully grown, they can go out for much longer.