Chow Shaking Head (nearly all the time).

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dallantan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Shaking Head (nearly all the time).

Post by Dallantan »

Please help me!!

This has been happening for nearly 12 months now. He had originally seen a bet and tried everything but nothing helped. He then had to have his ears flushed as this was causing him a lot of discomfort.

To date: nothing has really helped and now it is getting to the level where I feel the dog slobber is causing much messto my house as well (this is terrible for my health also).

PLEEEEEASE......can ANYONE help me or offer advise on what else I can do t stop him shaking his head all the time.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Shaking Head (nearly all the time).

Post by Laura »

More information is needed but obviously you need a different vet and to get to the bottom of this. Head shaking makes me think ear issue/infection. Has he been checked and/or treated for an ear infection? Meds/antibiotics/ear drops? Flushing cleans but doesn't treat an underlying infection. I am also confused by your comments on 'slobber'. Chows aren't over produces of 'slobber' so that seems strange to me. The only way to stop the head shaking is to get answers on what is causing it.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cafe_Latte2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte2.0 »

possible food allergy.
one of my chows was allergic to wheat & corn.

Switched to limited ingredient diet and massages the ear canal.
Once the swelling and inflammation went away, so did the head shaking.
chow315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow315 »

can you please share the name of the food? i have an 80 pound chow who does this too? thanks
Dallantan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dallantan »

chow315 wrote:can you please share the name of the food? i have an 80 pound chow who does this too? thanks

I use “tails” dog food. It’s custom food for dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk