Dasuquin or not

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dasuquin or not

Post by Mia »

Since they were a year old, I have used Dasuquin with MSM for my chows Mia and Chutney, becuase Mia has had a mild luxating patella since she was little and Chutney has had mild hip dysplasia since he was little. Although neither of them were limping at the time, it just seemed smart be proactive.

They are both 10 years old now and although Chutney is fine, during the last couple of years, Mia developed a slight limp. The vet assures me that it is not time for any invasive surgery, but to monitor her, which we have been doing four times a year for the last couple of years.

I did extensive research into medical studies of the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin for dogs and found nothing proving that it definitively helps with joint/patella issues. I have asked several vets about Dasuquin and all have said I could try it if I liked but they also are not convinced of its efficacy. I wonder if many people have found that Dasuquin does help their chows?

A year ago I stopped giving them the Dasuquin and Mia's occasional limp has not been any different off the Dasuquin as it was while on the Dasuquin. I am wondering if I should start them up again on it or not?

The vet said, that if it gets bad, we could try pain medication. I would love to avoid giving her pain pills that might aggravate her tummy, liver, pancreas, etc., but will if needed.

Although I realize nothing will "fix" the luxating patella short of surgery, which she will get if she needs, does anyone have any ideas on what I could give Mia to help her with flexibility and possible pain?

Has anyone had great success with Dasuquin or Cbd oil or anything else for joint/patella issues?
Mia
chloeann2327
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dasuquin or not

Post by chloeann2327 »

I have not tried Dasuquin but have used Cosequin for years with several of my chows & I really want to try CBD ( it works for me) but so confusing what brand & dosage to give dogs & also trusting the ingred-- try Cosequin-- good luck