Is it time to say goodbye?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bythepond88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it time to say goodbye?

Post by Bythepond88 »

My Maggie is almost 13 years old. About 10 days ago, she suddenly slowed way down on her walks. She had always set a good pace; on crisp days almost power walking. Overnight, she slowed to about a third her pace. I took her to the vet last Saturday, and the x-rays showed that the cartilage in her hips is almost completely gone. He put her on pain meds (Meloxicam liquid in the mornings, and Tramadol three times a day, and stressed that they be given with food.

My dilemma is that she has gradually gone completely off her feed. I've tried everything I can think off - mixing it with rendered beef tallow, rendered chicken fat, even mixing it with cat food or peanut butter. Each of these worked a time or two, but today she hasn't eaten anything.

She still seems to want her walks - even after "doing her business," if I give a gentle tug homeward to see if she wants to cut it short, she insists on continuing.

I'm scheduled to take her for a recheck this Saturday, but I'm thinking I should call and change it to a farewell appointment. I only want what's best for Maggie. I know it's hard when you can't actually see her, but what do you think?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is it time to say goodbye?

Post by Cindy J »

This is really tough. Only you will know when you are ready to say goodbye. I made the decision to send one of my dogs to the bridge due to prostate cancer. I asked myself over and over afterwards if I should have kept him alive, no matter the cost, no matter the pain. It took a long time to overcome the guilt. But I have finally come to peace knowing that I stopped his suffering.

No matter what or when you decide.... know that you are being selfless in letting go of a big part of your heart... even if it causes your heart to break. You are helping your girl pass on peacefully, with dignity. HUGS!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is it time to say goodbye?

Post by crs09s »

Maybe not, my girl is almost 13 too. She has joint disease in her front leg and some arthritis in her back legs. She is on galiprant (doesn't do harm to kidneys or liver) and then gabapentin at night. I'm wondering if it's time for her too, not for the stuff listed, because she has Astro f will to keep going. With those meds it really helps. But she seems to be losing weight rapidly. She's lost 10 pounds in over two months.