Mouth cancer

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sam'smomma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mouth cancer

Post by Sam'smomma »

I have discovered my 8 year old chow has mouth cancer. It is in the bone of his jaw and has metastasized to his lungs. I am doing several things to make him comfortable, though he does not appear to be in any kind of distress yet, and using homeopathic remedies, raw food, dog nog with turmeric and goats milk to help his condition.

My question is about breeding him. Humans save their eggs and sperm when they discover they have cancer, so may I breed him so our family can have a part of him with us still? We all believe our critters are exceptional, we believe our chow is one of a kind also. With the preconceived notions everyone has of the breed, all who meet him have their fears and beliefs of the breed dispelled with him. He has a grand championship blood line, I never had time to train or show him and always intended to have a female. Now, knowing he has mouth cancer, is this genetically in his genome, as with human breast cancer, in his DNA strand or is it because of he's a chow and their pigmented mouth predisposes them for it. I am trying to follow a logical, unemotional path to discover; do we get to have a baby to keep his wonderful temperament alive. I understand the rescue movement, control births, control unwanted pets...please refrain from giving me the rescue lecture. I know and understand it. I want both sides to ensure I am making a decision for our family.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Mouth cancer

Post by 612guy »

So sorry to hear about your chow. I don't know about if it's genetic or not but if you want to save sperm it's pretty easy. The hardest part is find the right vet that does it all the time. Once you find a vet, they will attempt to collect and the check the count to determine if he's fertile. Then they can sent it to the sperm bank so if you decide to do it or not in the future. If you can't find a vet then go to a AKC dog show and ask the people who show. If you can't find a show please tell me where you live and I can probably find shows for you.

Brutus
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annabellam »

Hey. I am so sorry about what is going on. If you understand the condition could be genetic and have weighed all options, I do not see a problem with breeding. It would be great to have a part of him passed on to the next generation. I hope everything goes well. You are doing a great job taking care of him. I think homeopathic treatment is good. Keep at it, all the best.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

612 has the right advice. I would seek out an AKC show. They have semen collectors available at most shows. They should also be pretty learned on circumstances since they are generally Vet run. And quite honestly, since its their business they do so at reasonable rates.

The hardest part might actually be finding a partner. I actually love the story, but wont breed my female due to some of her issues. If it was reversed, would strongly consider one of my males to assist in your quest, but that isn't the case.

Best of luck to you. I believe saving some of the temperament of our best Chows is really worthwhile.