Hair balls?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hair balls?

Post by Rogansmommy »

:?: Can a Chow get hairballs? Rogan gags and on occasion vomits. He's done this forever (since I got him at 8 weeks old) and there is nothing medically wrong with him. He'll go weeks without doing it and then cough, gag, vomit and everything is back to normal. Any ideas?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I don't know Michele - I suppose it is possible.
Does Rogan groom himself a lot as cats do and so, produce hair balls?
I suppose you have had him checked by the vet. Could be he gets a long hair in his mouth and that makes him gag.
That happens with M & M sometimes but does not seem to be a problem.
These Chowdren do cause us little worries don't they?! :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

Post by Guest »

Oh yes, Rogan was raised by Dasher - the OCD cleaning cat. :roll: Dasher taught both dogs how to be good, clean cats at a very early age. :wink: Since Chows are so catlike anyway, I don't really think about Rogan doing it. But when the rottweiler starts up, well, that's very funny.

When he was younger, I was very paranoid. Thankfully, we had awesome vets, who were great with him. He's medically fine, so I know it's not anything that could harm him. I was just curious if anyone else's chow got hairballs, and if so, what did you do for them? :?:
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Anonymous wrote:Oh yes, Rogan was raised by Dasher - the OCD cleaning cat. :roll: Dasher taught both dogs how to be good, clean cats at a very early age. :wink: Since Chows are so catlike anyway, I don't really think about Rogan doing it. But when the rottweiler starts up, well, that's very funny.

When he was younger, I was very paranoid. Thankfully, we had awesome vets, who were great with him. He's medically fine, so I know it's not anything that could harm him. I was just curious if anyone else's chow got hairballs, and if so, what did you do for them? :?:
Sorry, this was me. I wasn't logged in. :oops:
Michele

Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

:?: Is Rogan getting to chew on any yard grass, periodically? That can also create the same symptoms as hairballs.
Jennifer & Sheena
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. And when they "cack" it out, it's ugly. When Zhu was younger, he would lick/groom his paws and next thing I'd hear is "cack!" Later in the day, I'd find somewhere outside, a ball of curdled chow hair filled "cack"! I've actually trained him to stop the lick/groom of his paws and thank goodness, I've not seen a ball of curdled chow hair filled "cack" in years.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Juniper wrote::?: Is Rogan getting to chew on any yard grass, periodically? That can also create the same symptoms as hairballs.
Rogan, eat grass or do anything more than use the outdoors as his toilet? Ha! Never. That is reserved for the rottweiler. (His peasant slave.)

Rogan barely eats his food (even though, since I've switched to Wellness, I have to say, he hasn't missed a meal! :shock: That says alot for Wellness, I think.) and does not eat anything that hasn't been placed in his bowl for inspection. He doesn't "do" rawhide, kongs, nylabones, greenies, etc... so I'm thinking it's fur.
Michele

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sorry. I didn't read your post more closely. I only responded to the hair ball part of it. Do you notice if Rogan coughs, gags and vomits after a meal or closely after a meal? Zhu use to do that before he underwent his gastroplexy (bloat surgery). I had to change the way he eats his food, by making sure all the kibble was soaked through, limit his water availability after his meal and had to put him on a feeding time schedule. If Rogan's gagging, etc. sound familiar, just for awareness building you might want to read the post I put up regarding bloat. Carolyn added more to the topic. Don't want to scare you. Could just be hairballs... daRn those OCD cats!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Actually, bloat has always been a concern. He's a big boy so I have always made sure that his food is elevated and that he eats small meals, etc...

the coughing, gagging and vomitting occur usually in the afternoon about 1/2 hour before a meal. As a puppy, we thought it might have to do with an empty stomach, as did our vet. (He would do it in the mornings as well, if we slept in :roll: ) Now as an adult, it will occur between 4:30 and 5:15 - always and only. It's so odd...
Michele

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by Swerve »

Zhuyos mom wrote:Yes. And when they "cack" it out, it's ugly. When Zhu was younger, he would lick/groom his paws and next thing I'd hear is "cack!" Later in the day, I'd find somewhere outside, a ball of curdled chow hair filled "cack"! I've actually trained him to stop the lick/groom of his paws and thank goodness, I've not seen a ball of curdled chow hair filled "cack" in years.
Hi all,

Sorry to dig a archive post up but searching on vomitting hairballs.

Winston is now almost 2 and just starting his autumn molt. He is licking his paws alot and inturn is now gagging and throwing up a food/ hairball mess. His first was last week and now one today.

I asuming I need to stop him licking his paws and we should be fine, might step up the grooming to prevent more loose hair going down the stomach. After he throws up he's fine but would like to know who else this has happened to.
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hair balls?

Post by Swerve »

Just found this elsewhere on CC.org

Looks like Lax-Aire is teh way to go. http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... t=hairball
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current