Liver disease. Need advice

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Liver disease. Need advice

Post by ski »

On a routine check up at the Vet, our Doctor thought she felt something in Loki's abdomen. An ultrasound confirmed he had cysts on adrenal gland and spleen. There is also a tumor on the liver. Radiologist said there is no way of knowing if there is a malignancy unless we operate. Our Vet referred us to a surgeon who does a less invasive surgery which quickly removes the liver lobe. Our Loki is 13 and has other health issues...severe arthritis, thyroid, panting, etc. I asked our vet what she would do of Loki were her dog and she answered me honestly that she didn't know. She said under no circumstances would she remove the adrenal gland and said we should proceed very cautiously with surgery. She said we could treat his symptoms and there is no guarantee surgery would improve anything. I haven't a clue what to do. Surgery would involve his being at the surgical center at least a few days and , if malignant, I don't know the surgery would buy him more time. I am meeting with the vet in Monday with a list of questions but only want the best for Loki. Does anyone have any experience with liver disease or this surgical procedure?? Please help as I am so conflicted and confused. Many thanks!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Liver disease. Need advice

Post by Laura »

I don't have any experience with this type of health problem but I did want to offer my thoughts and prayers for you and Loki. It is a most difficult decision that you face. All you can do is gather the facts and choose what is best for Loki. Much easier said than done I know. I'm sure you have 'googled'. There are many pet forums out there and hopefully you can find someone with experience/advice for you. There is a UK pet forum that I read from time to time that has a busy dog health forum. Hugs to Loki.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks, Laura. I have been doing a great deal of research. My husband and I have an appointment with Loki's Doctor later this week as I want to explore all our options in depth. We have made a list of questions and concerns. I just pray I make the right decision.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

How is Loki? You have been in my thoughts.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

We had a conference with Loki's vet just a few days ago. She suggested we bring Loki in every few weeks to check both his blood work and either X-ray or ultra sound to see whether or not the liver tumor is growing and, if so, by how much. He has so many other issues she wants to monitor his urine protein ,anemia and liver enzymes. If needed, she is willing to do emergency surgery if she sees a life threatening situation. She has concerns about Loki going to a corporate surgical center where they don't know Loki and may not give attention to his bad leg and other issues. She says it does Loki no good if his liver is surgically corrected but they do collateral damage. Loki has been going to this Vet for ten years. All the techs know and love Loki. I just can't bring myself to subject him to a place that does not know him and where he will be separated from us for several days. I hope I am doing the right thing. I made a roast beef for Loki tonight and he didn't finish his dinner (we ate leftovers!!). It is difficult to get him to eat. I have been trying everything.
It is so kind of you to check in on us. This is a difficult time and hard decisions have to be made. I am trying to be optimistic, but it's tough.
Many thanks!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

You are doing the right thing because you love him and you are doing the best that you can for him. That is all any of us can do for the furry faces we love. Thanks for the update and I hope he starts feeling better!
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

I am fortunate that I haven't experienced this tough fight. I'm sending prayers for Loki, hope everything would be fine.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Many thanks!