Urinating inside after being Kenneled for the first time.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

daisy293
Rank 0
Rank 0

Urinating inside after being Kenneled for the first time.

Post by daisy293 »

Hi,
Our 11 year old Chow is very well potty trained. No mistakes in 11 years. We kenneled him for ten days; it was the first time in his life being kenneled. After returning from our trip our well trained pet is now urinating inside the house...in front of the family. Wow! Could it be possible that after being kenneled for ten days undo eleven years of superb potty training behavior or could there be a chance that or Chow's bladder was damaged due to being kenneled (Our Chow does not potty inside...at all.)? I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same or or suggestions on what to do fix the behavior.

Thanks!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Urinating inside after being Kenneled for the first time.

Post by Laura »

Boarding can be extremely stressful for them. I boarded my two once (never again!) and now I use a pet sitter they know when we go out of town. Also while boarded I assume he had to potty in the cage or wherever they kept him so along with stress he is confused. I would give him some time to relax and go back to potty training 101 if need be. It never hurts to check with the vet as well. Maybe he tried holding it a lot during those 10 days and there could be something physical going on.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)