Acts like something is hurting her rear end.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Acts like something is hurting her rear end.

Post by gebower »

Hello,
I'm at my wit's end. I have an 8 yr. old spayed female who has been to vet, had full blood tests. Vet examined her rear end and didn't see anything wrong. But there IS something wrong. She turns her head and tries to get to rear end, pulls hair out, yelps, whines like something is hurting her. This doesn't happen all the time but has happened now like 5-6 times a day for about 1/2 hour. The only thing the blood test showed was she has slight anemia. She's been wormed too. So it's not worms.
Just wonder if anyone has had this experience with their Chow and what it could be? Impacted *Censored Word* glands? The vet said "everything looks OK". It's so frustrating when I can't do anything when obviously she's suffering. Please, anyone.
Gene
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Acts like something is hurting her rear end.

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chows aren't really prone to adrenal gland issues, so I doubt its that. even then those tend to be seen in a butt dragging behavior, not chewing. I do have a female Chow that goes through a similar routine. She turns her head left, then right, and then back again. She pulls at the fur on her thighs. She is a bit high strung, and I think she is just bored. She stops if we are nearby and tell her to 'leave it'. Could be some dry skin, but I am leaning toward boredom and habit with her.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

It's a bit more with Zeena. She's obviously in pain because she whines and growls and acts like she going crazy. I did notice yesterday that there seems to be a bump at the base of of her tail and it could be a boil or cyst that's aggravating her. I'm taking her in to the animals hospital this morning to get it resolved. She's in misery.
Gene
jmoreton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jmoreton »

How is Zeena doing? Hope she is doing better.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I know it's a bit late but I've only just got back on the forum. Our 10 year old girl Dixie was doing the same thing, very distressed at times. It took our vet 5 minutes to figure out that it was her *Censored Word* gland. She cleaned (cleared) it and had us put her on a fibre supplement, Metamucil to firm up her stools which in turn keeps the *Censored Word* gland clear. Not uncommon, especially with slightly older dogs the get canned or soft foods.

Matt
No matter where you go, there you are.