Bed for chows

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bed for chows

Post by kevindd992002 »

Is it recommended to buy our dogs a small bed when they sleep? Walter seems to be very happy to just lie down in the floor, at least that's what he's used to. When we put him in the bed, he lies down for a few minutes, gets up, and gets very curious to the new cushion-like environment as expected. I heard from others that letting dogs sleep in the floor will make their hands/feet fur deteriorate in the long run but I'm not sure if this is even remotely true.
Last edited by kevindd992002 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bed for chows

Post by Rory's Dad »

I personally wouldn't waste the time looking for one or the money to purchase...

The dogs fur will not deteriorate from lying on the floor. If Walter is a flopper, then he might bang up an elbow or knee, but I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, he probably prefers the floor. Tile and wood flooring is cooler and many times they prefer that.

If Walter is not neutered, then the bed is likely to become a spot for marking, or at the very least a chew toy.

I am sure there are Chows who enjoy a nice feather bed (other than yours), but I bet they are the exception.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Yeah, I'm skeptical of buying one because he chews on just about everything.

He is a flopper. I always heard a thudding sound when he lies down. What happens if he bangs up an elbow or knee by doing this?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi kevin. Trust me, when you live in the tropics like both of us do then Walter will rather sleep on the cold floor. Beds are hot. I just got Chestnut a bed on her 2nd birthday when the heat got unbearable that even the floors were warm and it was a coolaroo. She Is an outdoor dog and sleeps in the shaded patio/lanai. The one with the net type cot so the air can circulate. That was the only bed she slept on. The rest became her chew toys. Walter is also an indoor dog right? So the floor would be ok for him especially when you have the aircon on. No their furs do not deteriorate on the floor.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Hi Constantina, thanks for the update on this. Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Yes, Walter is an indoor dog as I live in a condo community. They won't get cold when the ac is on and they sleep on the floor, would they?