New Chow puppy/DCM/water in lungs/anemia

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chaloobi
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow puppy/DCM/water in lungs/anemia

Post by Chaloobi »

Hi everyone,

We got a 3 month old chow chow from Ukraine 3 weeks ago. We are new owners so we didn't know what to expect, we took him to the vet for a checkup and he was healthy. He was lazy from the beginning, always taking naps and barely playing or doing anything. We knew they were lazy dogs so didn't think much of it. Gradually, he started becoming lazier and lazier. Three days ago he had a seizure and teh next mroning he had 2 more, we took him to the vet right away and he said it was a combination of things. First he has an enlarged left ventricle, causing his heart to push against the lungs which caused water to accumulate. He is also anemic with Hb=8 and has a UTI, causing even more blood to dispell.

Chowsky has been at the vet for 4 days now and he is doing better but we are nervous and very sad about all that's happened. I dont think it's common o=for chows to have DCM at such a young age. Has anyone heard of anything like this??

Also, we went to the vet to see him and chowsky didnt seem to care that we were there, he barely looked at us. Is this normal?
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Chow puppy/DCM/water in lungs/anemia

Post by PCC »

Chows may be sedentary dogs as adults, but puppies are not. While my boy did nap quite a bit when he was a puppy, when he was awake, he was very energetic. In fact every evening he would go ballistic, literally bouncing off the walls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vMCIzTZs4

Did the breeder you got him from offer any kind of health guarantee? All good one's I've seen do.

I am so sorry for your boy's health problems. I hope he pulls through.