At My Wit's End

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

At My Wit's End

Post by PCC »

I haven't been on the board in a few years. My little boy just turned nine on Sunday. Late last year he started developing a problem with his left eye; it would get all goopy. Then while on a long road trip back in February-March, he started getting an ear infection. Also, every once in awhile and out of the blue, he would limp on one of his front legs , but it would stop after a day or two. But then a couple of months ago, he started to limp again, and it didn't go away, and then a few days later he couldn't even stand up ... he would scoot around on his butt. It's been downhill ever since. He has hip dysplasia. He has arthritis in his elbows. He still has the eye and ear problems. He is extremely anemic. He has a lump on his chest. I've taken him into the vet numerous times, and after thousands of dollars in blood tests, x-rays, asperations, etc. I still don't know what's wrong with him. Worst of all, in the last two months, he's gone from 72 lb. to 56 lb. ... and now he refuses to eat. He is on prednisone which supposedly would increase his appetite, but instead I think it has caused him stomach upset, despite his also being on Pepside AC and some other drug. Whatever the case, when I put food under his nose, he is repulsed by it; he'll even move away, which isn't easy in his weakened state.

It's very upsetting to see my doggy wasting away, getting worse practically by the day, and not having an answer to what is wrong, or how to treat him. I don't think it's time to let him go, but at the rate his disease is going, I don't know how much longer he can hang on. :(
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: At My Wit's End

Post by maikinda »

I'm very sorry to hear that the vet has no answer for why your boy is having so many problems. I wish I had an answer for you. I know how hard it is when they are sick. I hope you find an answer.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 14082 times
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Unfortunately, an answer is not forthcoming. If I had a pile of money I might be able to find out, but that is not the case. I don't think it's his time yet, but his body is breaking down at a rapid rate, and even though I am hopeful he can pull out of it, I'm not sure he can. At least he is eating a little now, and I can get him back on all his medications, which he hasn't been on in over a week.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I'm curious. Why is he on prednisone? Has he been on it long? It's not really good to have him on Prednisone long term unless there is a specific disease he needs it for such as an immune disease or Pemphigus Foliacious. His medicine/s could be the reason why is appetite is suppressed.

Are you in an area where you can consult with a holistic vet?

Other than the lump on his chest, what ails your boy is common on many of the threads in the forum. From the past posts, I've read some eye guck, if not diagnosed with entropion or early glaucoma, is due to allergies (environmental or food). The ear infection also can be related to a food allergy or he somehow got a drop of fluid stuck inside his ear. Sometimes all the symptoms you listed collectively seem like your boy is really sick when if looked at one by one can be tackled simply. Do you give him any supplements for his hip/elbow dysplasia? Many a chow in this forum are on supplements and have found relief and thrive while they are on them consistently. I've had success with a supplement named "Sea jerky" when my senior chows started to have problems walking and getting up. It has g/c and MSM. It's jerky so it was easy to give to them. Other members of this forum have had success in specific supplements added to their food and a pain reliever. Has his a.nal glands been expressed?

As for the lump, did your vet do a fine needle aspiration to find out if it is malignant or benign?

Trust your instincts. If you feel it's not his time yet, it is not.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

He has not been on prednisone long; they do think he has some kind of immune disease. I hadn't considered or even thought about a holistic vet; otherwise, he just started getting acupuncture treatment. I have been giving him supplements for his joints (glucosamine) ; is there something else for dysplasia? I will look into Sea Jerky. Thank you.

Since Wednesday, he is visibly better. :)
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Last saturday while I was at work, my sister said he threw up a couple of times, and was lethargic all day. Since then, he hasn't been able to stand up on his rear legs. I noticed he seemed to have no control over his rear limbs at all. He couldn't wag his tail, and he couldn't control his bladder or bowels. I took him to the vet today ... and there's nothing more to be done. She said it's time. I'm just having a hard time letting him go. :(
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

PCC wrote:...I took him to the vet today ... and there's nothing more to be done. She said it's time. I'm just having a hard time letting him go. :(
Really? He's only 9. I would get a second opinion. I would not let him go until all avenues have been exhausted. I'm not sure I would agree with your vet's diagnosis. Yes, he's in pain. There is no if ands or buts about that. He's exhibiting all the signs of being in pain and not being able to talk to you about it. Maybe another pain medicine would alleviate his symptoms or safer, some MSM on his food. Has a bladder infection been ruled out, a spinal tumor, slipped disc, FCE ( fibrocartilagenous embolism), or perhaps he's reacting to his flea medicine? I mentioned it before, trust your instincts, plus your boy, in his own way, will tell you too.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

We visited a neurologist today. I was hoping for but not really expecting a different answer. He could undergo an MRI, and possibly surgery to restore his ability to walk, but she thought the chance of a successful outcome would be very remote.

If I choose to not euthanize him I will need to clean up after him every day since he is incontinent because of the injury to his nerves. Otherwise, despite his other health issues, at the moment he's stable and not in any real pain. Based on her examination, the neurologist didn't think he was in any pain either, although she did bring up the topic of euthanasia since the quality of his life is certainly lessened.

I'm not ready to put him down yet; I'm just going to see how it goes day to day for now.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I never imagined that the day would come where I would be thinking about a dog wheelchair, or having to learn and express his bowels/bladder. :|
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

No sooner than when I start thinking about long term health care, that my beloved Dim Sum has a very bad night. He was visibly uncomfortable, and his eyes ... well, I don't think he has much more left in him. As I type this, he just let out a whine that I've never heard him do before. I was contemplating letting him die at home naturally, but I can't bear to see him suffer. Today may be his last. :cry:
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

He's convulsing. He's crying. He's throw up a few times. I called the vet, and made the decision I've been dreading. :cry:
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

My little boy is at peace now.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I'm so sorry. You did all you could for him. He's no longer in any pain, running free... Be good to yourself, PCC.
Mousequeen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mousequeen »

So sorry for your loss it is such a hard thing to have to do. RIP Dim Sum, maybe you will meet Keiko
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

I am so sorry for your loss.You will see her at the Rainbow Bridge.