HELP!!!! Chow chow cannot walk

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Shannon0115
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP!!!! Chow chow cannot walk

Post by Shannon0115 »

Hello! My name is Shannon and I have a 17 month chow. He has a hard time walking and it looks very painful for him. It seems he doesn't stand up fully to move and kind of stays in the sitting position and drags himself and pivots to move a little bit. He cries and it is really hard for us to see him like this. We made an appt for the vet in a couple of hours. Also, if it seems he absolutely has to, he will run to where he wants to go then kind of chase his tail for a bit and sits down immediately. It seems to be his right hind leg to be the cause of his pain if not both. I'm not sure what it could be, he doesn't sleep with frog legs but it seems that the pain started last night. I thought it was hip dysphasia but now I am not too sure. We walked him yesterday and he seemed fine.
kingalls

Re: HELP!!!! Chow chow cannot walk

Post by kingalls »

How did it go with the vet check? Hope he is okay.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wait for the vet diagnosis, but it sounds like a ligament issue. Its possible he injured it either jumping off something, doing stairs, or just running around. Could be in the hips, but they would have to be really bad to show up to that extreme at his age.

Let us know what the vet finds. Lots of people here with experience with these things. Have seen success with everything from rest and a diet supplement all the way to surgery, so you want to know the options once you know what you are dealing with.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

how is your furbaby doing?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

What did the vet say? Is it repairable? Mine had splayed legs as a puppy but fully recovered from therapy.
Shannon0115
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shannon0115 »

I recall that he had a short fall down the stairs when I came home and got too excited. The vet said there was absolutely nothing wrong and that maybe it was just soreness from the fall. They provided pain meds and he was okay after that! Definitely monitoring how often he walks up and down the stairs now and limiting how often he stands only on his hind legs! Thanks all!