My CHOW has pneumonia that does not respond to antibiotics?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Amorfati
Rank 0
Rank 0

My CHOW has pneumonia that does not respond to antibiotics?

Post by Amorfati »

Hi, my dog (a white chow chow, he name is SitJai) has recently diagnosed with megaesophagus (likely to be congenital). On the 11th of June, a vet took an x-ray of him and found evidence of aspiration pneumonia. So I have several questions:
1) He has been on antibiotics for 2 days now but he is continuing to breath like crazy (I counted 33/34 breaths in 15s so >132 respiratory rate???) He has been breathing like this for the whole day. Is this normal?
2)On the Xray film it seems that I could not locate his Heart? (there is no white shadows next to the diaphragm!) Then I immediately connect this with something that the vet said about hearing some murmurs that my little cutely chow has. Could there be any connections?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nk_g ... sp=sharing

Thanks I lot for reading this. My chow and I would appreciate your help very much.!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My CHOW has pneumonia that does not respond to antibioti

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi,
this is very specific, eventually serious health problem which is best discussed with veterinarian at your location.
I would get a second opinion from there if you feel uncomfortable with your current doctor.
We're here Chow enthusiasts, but if I'm completely mistaken there is no veterinarian professional here.\
I wouldn't dare to give an advise in your case, but I wish all the best for your baby.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Lucillep101
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My CHOW has pneumonia that does not respond to antibiotics?

Post by Lucillep101 »

My black chow chow Chelsea gave a small cough after she drank water. It sounded like a wheeze. But never coughed much again. Just her usual panting. But I noticed her chest sounding heavy. I googled home remedies and gave her lemon and honey. It didn't work. Then she began eating her food then eating grass and throwing everything up. She wanted to sit outside unusually a lot as she enjoyed the icy windy weather. We took her to the vet. She took 4 injections which included antibiotic, anti-vomiting, and for tick fever just to be safe as blood test was vague. We gave her rehydrates, antibiotic tablets and also de-wormed her. Then a bit of diarrhoea started. The heavy chest together with complete loss of appetite and diarrhoea shot up her temperature. That's why she wanted to sit outside in the wind so much. We decided to take her again to the vet. They advised to leave her overnight so they can monitor her and give her IV fluids and examine her stools etc. We were afraid as she has never been away from us and never been in a cage. But we hoped the drips would rehydrate her and lower the temp. We kept phoning to find out how she was doing. She was ok. She apparently barked to get out of that cage. At midnight they gave her a strong painkiller Temgesic which was intended to reduce any inflammation and lower the temp and to stop her vigorous panting. They also used some ice packs. Her temp dropped to 38.9 degrees Celsius then shot back up to 40.9. This was very much a hyperthermic state. Chelsea fell off to sleep and never woke up. Vet called us at 6am to tell us that she had died. I was sick to my stomach. My family were just getting ready to fetch her that morning to take to the hospital for proper blood test. I regret that she died alone with strangers and locked up in a cage without the icy breeze that she loved. She was so happy in the car on the way to the vet sitting upright and enjoying the breeze and moved around with a lot of energy. Car rides just uplift her spirit. All of this happened within one week. The fever started off by the chest infection just put her into hyperthermia. We hadn't known this. She was a heavy coated breed. She died at 9 years old just 3 months after my male chow died at 11 years old. I hope she has reunited with him in heaven.
Lucillep101
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My CHOW has pneumonia that does not respond to antibiotics?

Post by Lucillep101 »

In summary, pneumonia/chest infections will cause vigorous panting as the chows tries to get more air into the lungs. Excessive panting takes more muscle power and this will escalate the temperature to possible hyperthermic levels. I.e rectal temperature of over 40 degrees Celsius. Prolonged temperature at these levels will shut down the vital organs and lead to cardiac arrest. I believe this is what happened to Chelsea.